All This Talk Reminded Me . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Default All This Talk Reminded Me . . . .

All this talk of MSF training reminded me of one of my recent classes.

One of my students was originally from over in the Norse countries. He rode dirt bikes all over the place. Then he moved here and stopped riding. However he wanted to get back into riding and attended one of my courses.

Usually I ask my students what their idea of a "Dream Bike" is and this fellow started talking "dual-purpose" bikes. He and I immediately connected.

On Saturday morning, I had our KLX250S out, warmed up and ready to ride. Hey, I had to make sure it was running fine, so I took it for a little spin. It's simply amazing how much quicker a modified bike is than a stock bikd.

Well, he rode the bike. The student was a long, lean drink of water, probably about 160 pounds and just over 6 feet tall. The KLX was made for him and he soon bonded.

When we came to the exercise where you had to ride over the "obstacles" the first one he came to, he leaned back, pulled on the bars and hit the throttle. Guess what came off the ground? Yep, the front tire jumped up on him. He had a strange look on his face. He came over, stopped the bike and apologized. I told him that it looked to me like he was doing what he had done before and the power surprised him. I did not think the wheelie was an intentional act, so not to sweat it, just don't do it again.

Yep, the KLX rocks as a training bike.

Might have to ride mine down there this coming weekend and have some fun. I think I'll be doing a class by myself, no co-coach.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: All This Talk Reminded Me . . . .

I'm still having a hard time getting the front tire up...
I've got all the mods, fully muzzy, except no gearing changes...
I did a small wheelie yesterday, going uphill, basically dumping the clutch in first...

Is it the gearing? I really don't want to give up any top speed at all, but it's an absolute must that I be able to wheelie this thing over logs etc. There's no hope in hell of doing a pure throttle wheelie, and second gear? Forget it.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

With the 300cc upgrade I can do a no clutch wheelie with a throttle blip and a small tug on the bars. I suspect a gearing change would have a similar affect, but like you I did not want to give up the relatively low and comfortable RPM cruising speed at the top end. I did the 300cc for precisely the reasons you mentioned - to more easily lift the front end over logs, stream crossings, etc, and it's just the ticket for that. I'm always looking for more, though, and Marty's Percival mod seems like a no brainer.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

13-45 BABY!!!!!! Being able to use 6th gear and do wheelies in 1st and 2nd, you won't regret it. Just be careful around the 3000 mile mark, it will grab you by the horns.