airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

You pickin on me Deej

I guess it would at least help keep out anything larger that finds it's way up in that zone, ie. leaves, pine needles, small rocks. It's pretty tight for anything to get in there but I'd rather put some of that on there that take a chance.
How in the world is anything gonna get up in there in the first place? Plus that's why you have a filter, nothing is getting through that filter except water and trust me a screen isn't gonna stop that.[8D] I've been running with out the lid for 3500 miles and have yet to find anything in there. I'm just saying. That being said I have heard stories about mice building nests inside air cleaners on cars, so I guess our bikes are not exempt from stuff like that. Good plan man.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

Thanks for the kind words..

This computer is absolutely killing me...I gotta call geek squad and get it fixed...it took me over an hour to get to this point..open and read the posts, and get to the post reply stuff..could it be this website, other websites are faster..I did notice there are nearly 4000 of us in the dual sport forums..cool.

deej-okay, the eyes are simply made from 3M reflective tape (my buddy said the skull should have eyes)..same as the reflective tape on the back end of my bike, which I put there when i removed the stock liscence plate stuff...I simply did not want to be without reflectors altogether on the rear of the bike however I did consider putting LEDs or lights up front and removing the stock reflectors from the forks..there are some pretty cool lights at Radio Shack (12-volt too)
-the skull sticker came from Canadian Tire ..I preferred to inset it into the white vinyl by tracing around the skull before sticking it on and then cutting the vinyl out with a sharp wood carving knife
-I love that green chain--who makes it?

danielsan-the handgrips are Scott grips..I had to replace those when I buggered one of the stock ones putting on the Acerbis handguards, so they went green for looks
-I am running 132 main, slide drilled 7/64ths, FS 2-1/2 turns out, clip on 4th groove and I am also at sea level--bike runs great, I also have 13/42 gearing..it comes up in 1st when you are aggresive off the line, but i haven't had success getting it up in 2nd, but i am not an experienced rider either

-yes I did the liscence plate mod..just search for liscence plate mod and you will find it on there somewhere..or just ask for pics and I will send a couple
-the airbox screen I just had kicking around, but I did see rolls of very similar (maybe better) stuff at Central Supplies (our home depot)....it's very similar to eavestrough screen, and it's cheap I think I saw $4 per roll? It looked to be in 1cm squares or very close to that size and aluminum

HawaiiRider-as long as the screen mesh is strong enuf to maintain its shape.I'm sure just bolting it on would work too. Yest I had to do some soldering to the signal lites, there is a plug on them, but the plugs are way up under the seat so I just cut the wires under the fender and soldered the new wires to them there...and heat shrink so they don't short!!