airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

I completed the mods to the stock exhaust (similar to zppitbullseye--thanks btw) and installed my jet kit, uni-filter, ken sean folding mirrors and modified my airbox lid. I followed the jet kit instructions for a "stock exhaust with end cap removed" and used the 132 main jet supplied, clip on 4th groove, drilled the slide to 7/64ths (or #32) and turned the fuel screw out 2 1/2 turns. I am at sea level and other than a minor ground problem screw-up on my part everything when great. It took about 2 hrs to complete the carb (never touched a dirtbike carb before) and about an additional 30mins to figure out why my bike wouldn't start.....I had loosened the vent hosebracket on the underside of the bike (the one that keeps the hoses away from the uni-shock), but forgot to tighten it...on my bike there is a ground cable attached to this clamp, the bike turned over slowly but would not start. OnceI figured this out the bike fired right up. It responded well to throttle and idled perfectly..I took it for a ride the next day (as it was late) and it drove great..It seems to get up through the RPMs really quick now and the front end will easily come up if you are too quick off the line...I like it. Anyhow, here are some pics of the exhaust and airbox lid work...For the airbox, I cut open the top of the lid andriveted a piece of wire mesh to the top to cover the hole..this way the bike can get the air minus the bigger chunks of dirt and leaves.

Name:  IMG_0642.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0641.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0640.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  81.9 KB

I love the mirrors as well...wish I got them in the first place.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics

cool pipe mod, is that putty or is it welded?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Good idea on the wire mesh on the airbox, I like that alot.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

No it's welded, I bought a 1 3/8-inch exhaust union (at CDN Tire) and had a friend at a local bodyshop weld it in as the exhaust outlet..I thought the welds could have been a bit better, but I can't complain...he didn't charge me anything for doing the work.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

sound clip?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought about attaching a clip, but my daughter is in bed now...maybe tomorow after she heads to school and everybody is awake.....didn't get but the one ride on it so far, so maybe I'll go for a ride and video clip the bike running then..we had a house party last nite, housework today (installed a woodstove in the basement), although it would have beena good day for a ride.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie
I thought about attaching a clip, but my daughter is in bed now...maybe tomorow after she heads to school and everybody is awake
That's ok.....we know what it sounds like now.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 PM

I like the screen idea too,what did you do to the liscence plate? I want to do something with mine to clean it up.I'm thinking acerbis dual sport tail light but don't want to spend the money.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks great man and bet it sounds much better too

Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

How did you do the exhaust? Did you drill the end out then just weld the end on or did you do what the other dude did and cut the side out and gut the muffler?

Quick Reply: airbox lid mod/exhaust mod pics