Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Air filters

Has anyone tried a K&N pleated high flow filter on the KLX250? I'm looking for a little more air flow, but don't want to drill out or remove the air box lid. I have the KDX 200 snorkel. I'm wondering if one of these filters might allow more air into the engine - any thoughts?

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/kn%20klx300.htm

Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Air filters

K&N for dirt bikes. This is a debate that has been going on forever.

The general consensus is if you do a lot of mud and streams, you are better off with foam, with a spare clean pre-oiled one on stand-by. If you do a lot of sand, supposedly the K&N is better.

The only bike I currently have the K&N is on my R1150R. The only thing I noticed was an increase in intake noise which at first sounded like an increase in the exhaust noise. I really like the sound and to me that alone was worth the price! The fact that I never have to buy another air filter for this bike is an icing on the cake.

As for my KLX, since I don't foresee doing too much hard-core mud and streams, if my foam ever rips and needs to be replaced, I think I will get the K&N; but that is quite a bit down the road.......of course unless Nobrakes finds out that it does indeed increase performance.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'll be the guinea pig, I ordered one and will let you guys know.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:51 PM

I've seen some information in the past that shows that THe K&N do flow more air initially, but as they get dirty, the rpoformance drops rapidly. At the same time, when clean, they let a fair amount of fine dust particulate past, but as they get dirty, the filtration improves, but hte performance drops. I personally wouldn't use it if you are regularly in dusty areas. I think you'll need to clean it more often.

I also know that on my open loop fuel injected bike (a 600cc sportbike) it made it run like crap. The BMW is closed loop, so the ECU should compensate OK. A CV carb bike will also compensate OK.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up, motoguy - I'll keep a close eye on it when I get it installed. Seems like air intake is somewhat of an issue on this bike, so I'm just experimenting a little.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:01 PM

with the k&n you would prob want to open the airbox some more,the k&n will flow more air but only if it can get more air.there will also prob be more cleaning and oiling with the k&n than with a foam filter.you can get outerwares for them also,which helps against water getting to the filter and filtering out larger particals.i run one on my quad but it gets cleaned and oiled after every ride.when i get all my mods i will prob modify the stock airbox lid to accept an outerware cover so it can be basically "open".here's a few pics to explain the "outerware".i run one on the filter itself and have one in a modified airbox lid,although i only run the airbox lid in extremely wet conditions.for the klx i'll prob run a twin air filter and the outerware in the modified lid with the airbox cover on at all times.a dual stage foam will out filter a k&n but a k&n will flow more air,really depends which way you're leaning,more performance or better protection.k&n filters are also much easier to clean and oil than a foam filter,not as messy.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-21-2006, 09:19 PM

just looked at the link you provided and one thing i didn't like in their description was" no jetting change required"
any time you change the airflow in or out you should adjust the carb accordingly or you're not getting the best performance out of it.
even something as minor as putting the airbox lid on with the outerwares requires a little adjustment with the mixture screw to keep it running at it's peak.

"The only bike I currently have the K&N is on my R1150R. The only thing I noticed was an increase in intake noise which at first sounded like an increase in the exhaust noise. I really like the sound and to me that alone was worth the price!"

isn't it amazing how you can audibly hear the difference in airflow.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I like that outerwares lid. I was actually thinking about making something similar - I didn't realize something like that already existed.

I have already jetted using a #125 main jet and the N1TC needle with the clip on the 2nd ring. Also drilled the crankcase airbox vent to 3/8" and installed the KDX high flow snorkel in the air box so I am already flowing more air. I didn't really want to run with the airbox lid removed like some do. I started the bike in the garage with the lid off, and was surprised at the noise. Sounded pretty cool though. I have a Muzzy exhaust coming and am just trying to do a little work to get the most out of it. I was thinking about making something like the outerwares lid but just use some type of filtering fabric to pre-filter the intake - something similar to the 3M central air filters. The K&N or foam filter would still be installed, of coarse.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:55 PM

What about the Twin Air filter the one on my honda has worked well and I ride in sand mostly
Now IM going to put one on my KLX250S.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-22-2006, 01:57 AM

twin air is a nice dual stage foam filter.most people that ride the dunes don't use an airbox so they usually run a k&n with a pre charger(outerware).open foam filters clog quickly in the sand without an airbox.but that's on atv's.

Nobrakes,the outerware material is pretty cheap and works amazing.very little loss of airflow and great water shedding ability.any place that sells k&n filters should sell it(k&n calls it their pre charger).if you take a piece and cut it to fit your airbox cover just make sure you seam the edges with some tape so it doesn't tear.EHS racing(ehsracing.com i think)makes custom lids for atv's but not sure about bikes.they do sell a universal kit though.comes with a billet frame to hold the material and then attaches to the airbox cover.you might want to check them out.a little pricey though but real nice set ups.i'll post up a few pics when i get mine done but sounds like you'll be done b4 me,would love to see some pics when it's done if you get the chance.good luck and may the force be with you.