Air Filter Oil Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 05:07 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Filter Oil Alternative?

Hey guys. Long story short, I'm living in Vietnam and can't find any air filter oil for sale anywhere in the country... except for this stuff for the K&N type air filters - https://www.lazada.vn/products/dau-d...616222511.html

One guy here is telling me it is what he uses. Do you think it is suitable or is there another alternative I'm not aware of?

Can import from overseas but will take along time.

Thanks for any input

Old 09-12-2020, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I take you are asking about foam filter oil? Possibly you could get it from one of the dealerships since the manufacturers have their own label oil. We used to use motor oil back in 1972. Worse comes to worst it's better than nothing.

The K&N stuff may work fine, the only concern being if it has anything in it that would degrade foam, but I doubt it does. I think some K&N replacement filters have foam seals on the body. Thing is it is expensive for the amount in a can or bottle. Foam filter oil is lower cost over all.

Why not just order some from overseas even if it takes some extra time? Once you have it, you have it. Lasts a fair amount of time. Order two containers, then when one is done order another. That way you always have some.

Last edited by klx678; 09-12-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure that oil in the link is for the K&N fabric filters. What you can use in a pinch is chainsaw bar oil...not the engine oil. You are looking for an oil that has a "tacky" component. Motor oils and most others will drain from the filter and right into the airbox. There may be some chainsaw bar oils out there that aren't tacky, but over the years of buying the cheapest bar oil I can find, I've not run across one that isn't tacky. Non-tacky bar oil will fling right off the chain and make a big mess. You can tell it has a tacky element if you put a small amount on two fingers and repeatedly touch and spread them apart. You should see the oil "stranding" between your fingers the way glue does. That tackiness will keep the oil in the filter doing it's job, and it does offer some water shedding quality. It's not as good as a true foam filter oil like Twin Air, but it's better than most any other oil you can use that is not specifically designed for foam filters. Air filtration is one of THE most important elements of engine care. Try to get real filter oil. I think Twin Air is the absolute best.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

There ya go, the choices... foam or K&N fabric.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:18 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I messaged over 20 shops yesterday and was able to find one with the goods!

Old 09-13-2020, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Atta boy!

Old 09-22-2020, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Chain saw bar oil will work well. Not the two stroke premix oil, the oil that dribbles out and lubes the chain. That is pretty sticky stuff.
Haha, TNC beat me to it...

Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reinigef
Chain saw bar oil will work well. Not the two stroke premix oil, the oil that dribbles out and lubes the chain. That is pretty sticky stuff.
Haha, TNC beat me to it...
Good to know. Now to find me some clutch plates damnit! I thought filter oil was tough. Looks like I can try the Chinese clutch plates till some imports arrive... about my only choice. Thank god I only own a Kawasaki here and not a KTM

Old 09-23-2020, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe any mineral oil will work fine. Not sure if it's available where you are, but widely available in many areas.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mineral oil has no "tack". Not a good candidate. Chainsaw bar oil is available anywhere chainsaws are available...except Texas. Chainsaws were outlawed here because of that horrific massacre committed with a chainsaw.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Oil Alternative?