Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Air filter

what would be a good replacement filter?where i ride here in Hawaii,it's very dusty,most of the year.Ialso have a pro circuit t-4 muffler and a stock carb.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Air filter

i have herd from more than a few people that the K&N filters dont get everything, especially for a dirt bike riding in mostly dusty conditions... they are great for automobiles.... but i have a uni filter. any filter for a klx300 will work.... i would still get a foam filter.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Uni.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

uni all the way

Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've also read that K&N filters don't catch dust well, but whenever I've taken mine out, it was clean as a whistle on the inside. K&N also sells pre-filters, which is essentially a foam sleeve that goes over the outside of the filter for dusty conditions. Just to be cautious, I put one on my filter, but it is areal pain to getthe filterback in. I'm working on making a new airbox lid that incorporates a foam filter to solve the problem.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

I've also read that K&N filters don't catch dust well, but whenever I've taken mine out, it was clean as a whistle on the inside.
the inside is clean cause it got sucked into the motor..... why would the inside be dirty.... you can see through those K&N's in spots... ill take the foam.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it's clean because all that crap sandblasted it on the way into the engine . K&N = good for paved go kart track and slab riding.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

ORIGINAL: mustang

I've also read that K&N filters don't catch dust well, but whenever I've taken mine out, it was clean as a whistle on the inside.
the inside is clean cause it got sucked into the motor..... why would the inside be dirty.... you can see through those K&N's in spots... ill take the foam.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

What I meant was that even though the outside of the filter looked dirty, the inside still looked clean, implying that the filter stopped the dirt. Maybe it let particles through that I can't see, but it looked good. Anyway, I don't usually ride in a lot of dust, and when I do Irun the pre-filter, so I'm alright.

The whole point of the K&N is to flow more air. While the UNI and TwinAir filters are better than stock, I don't think they flow a whole bunch more. Putting a pre-filter on my K&N makes it no better than aUNI filter, but I can takethe pre-filteroff if I want.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy a UNI filter too. But I have the K&N now, so that's what I've got to work with.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

one thing that got me..... uni was 25$ and k&n was 50$..... easy decision to me.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I got the K&N for Christmas last year from my girlfriend. Do you see the problem now? I mentioned in passing that Iwanted a new air filter,and since I runK&N's on other vehicles,she went with it.

Quick Reply: Air filter