Air Duct install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Air Duct install

After removing the carb to install DJ kit, attempting to re-install the air duct between the carb and the air box and it is becoming a difficult task. I cant seem to figure out why this is such a challenge to get it lined up correctly and fitted over the carb and air box. What am i missing ??

Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

drink more beer.... lol....

na, i got pretty good at it, its just a pain. No real easy way.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you folks completely detaching the soft rubber boot between the carb and air box? Or just twisting the carb out from between this boot and the intake manifold? Seems the instructions don't suggest removal of the air box boot so the difficulty is in twisting the carby back in place.

I hope to use some sort of lube like when fitting tires. Maybe some windex. Is that a good idea? Anybody ever torn or deformed the soft boot?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

i followed this to get the carb out:

http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617

Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Air duct?...man, for a minute I thought you were installing a heating and AC unit on your bike.

One thing I use when reinstalling that boot over the rear of the carb is an "L" shaped tool that I can walk around the rubber and carb body...kind of like a long allen wrench...a short end for the rubber boot and a long end to grip with your hand. You stick the short end of the tool into the rubber boot, and manipulate the rubber over the lip of the carb throat and just gently work that around the perimeter of the carb throat. The rubber boot is pretty soft and will move and stretch quite a bit, but you often just can't get your fingers in there at the right time and place for the boot to fit over the carb throat. This tool will fit where your fingers or a screwdriver won't go. Of course, use judgement to keep from tearing or poking a hole in the rubber boot.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I use some white lithium spray grease, too. It pretty much stays where you spray it, and it doesn't hurt to have that extra bit of "sealing ability" on those boots.

I like the allen wrench idea! Makes very good sense....

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I use some white lithium spray grease, too. It pretty much stays where you spray it, and it doesn't hurt to have that extra bit of "sealing ability" on those boots.

I like the allen wrench idea! Makes very good sense....
the lithium grease was a winner. tackled it again today took 2 minutes to put on... thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I use Windex, the boot is less likely to slip off later. Windex dries, grease stays slippery.
Dan

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar
the lithium grease was a winner. tackled it again today took 2 minutes to put on... thanks
Sometimes it just takes a break too, glad to hear you got it back together. I didn't use anything when I did it and yes, it took three or four attempts.

Patience..........................................

Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to here you got it done. For anyone else doing this, it helps to unbolt the rear master cylinder and move it out of the way. And like TNC said, find an L shaped tool that won't poke a hole in it to get the back side of the hose onto the air box.

Quick Reply: Air Duct install