Air Box Lid Removed = Safe ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the KDX snorkel and its rejetted w/ Big Gunn exh runs well with no water problems...and I have run real deep a couple of times.

"Lid off" was too much seat of the pants noise with no noticable gains, if I ever get around to finally do the 351- I might try to cut the top and fit another snorkel.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

A bit of rubber installed vertically around the top of the air box is something I was considering as well. Keep out the splashing and dirty water a bit better perhaps. There is some vertical room under the seat that would ordinarily be taken up by the snorkel.

As an update - the drain tube from at air box bottom was plugged with dirt and probably air filter oil so water was not draining from the bottom and probably causing the intermittent stalling. Bike ran rather well considering the puddle of muddy water.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Quiet the open airbox?

Just bought an 06 KLX250S a few weeks ago and just found this site.

Mine came with an FMF Q4 muffler and KLX300 head pipe (I'm told), a K&N filter and (again I was told) a Dynojet Stage 2 kit (125 main jet maybe?).

The airbox lid was removed when I bought it and yes, I do hear a lot of intake noise from the box.

Is there any mods to quiet down the intake w/o losing the airflow?

Thanks...

Old 11-15-2013, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTackett

Mine came with an FMF Q4 muffler and KLX300 head pipe (I'm told), a K&N filter and (again I was told) a Dynojet Stage 2 kit (125 main jet maybe?).

The airbox lid was removed when I bought it and yes, I do hear a lot of intake noise from the box.

Thanks...
Put the lid back on with the snorkel removed, this will quieten the induction noise right down & still be enough air flow for a 250.

I run a 331 big bore with webcams & get enough air flow on my bike with a bigger snorkel fitted (something like a KDX200)!! Guys with 351 bore kits get enough air as well by doing this. Removing the lid on a 250 is just noise for the sake of noise IMHO.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Put the lid back on with the snorkel removed...
Didn't receive the lid with the bike. Not sure it is worth buying a new one, but I may try to pick up a used one.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTackett

Thanks...
My DJ kit came w/ Main Jets with even numbers like 124, 128, etc.. Mine is currently jetted with a 128 and it is a bit rich. The intake noise is beginning to annoy me as well. I plan to go back to the 124 main jet and cover the air box. I do not have a lid either so I plan to use duct tape and a little trial & error to find the right amount. Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new ride!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Good info. Thanks.

I haven't checked the plug yet, but it seems to run very clean. That is until 8k or so when it starts missing, which I assume is some type of electronic rev limiter?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The rev limiter is at 10500 in the '09 ->.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

if Im accelerating hard I get a miss around 8-9k rpm and I don't know why...happened before and after 351 kit

Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey matt, I too get the miss.... same spot on the tach... doesn't always happen but is more common with the airbox lid off and at WOT.... this is what initially led to my question of float bowl adjustment in another thread.

spark? timing? the questions never cease

Quick Reply: Air Box Lid Removed = Safe ?