Ahh new rubber, is there anything better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Ahh new rubber, is there anything better?

Well outside a new bike that is.

WestOz rides the same terrain as me so I went with his recommendation, the 606's, this time round.
Front and back.

Name:  PICT0005-4.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  86.0 KB

And, don't assume the rim locks will last forever.

Name:  PICT0004-3.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  35.6 KB

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice boots...too bad they gotta put those lines all around them though. I can't afford the 606s up here...about $160 for the rear...so I didn't even bother checking the front. I think Michelin AC10 will be my next rear..front is good for another year TK2.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

What were you running before hand?

Cheers
Paul
________
New mexico dispensaries

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barbz
What were you running before hand?
MX retreads.
http://www.mxretreads.com.au/tyres.php

Good in the dirt.
Not good on the slab.
On a wet greasy rd the front is,.... well......"entertaining"

Like all MX tyres the ***** rounded off quite soon on the road.

Not legal on the rd either but that didn't bother me.
Most of my bike isn't "legal" anymore.

I paid $A139 for the rear and $A119 for the front.
If I could be arsed shopping around i probably could have saved a bob or 2.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I just did the same: new D606's front and rear. They replaced the original front and an full off-road Dunlop knobby on the back. First impressions of the 606 were not great; seemed squirrely both on the highway at speed and on both sand and hardpack. Lowered the pressure to 16 F & R and found them much better. Certainly much better on the road than my old semi-bald knobby.Not fantastic in deep sand but then what is?

Every time I ride this little green thing I come away more and more impressed. The 351 brings it alive! I can do things with it I would never have dared to do on my KLR650 and good, new tyres certainly help.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've used several sets of 606's. The rear may be one of my all time favorites for DOT tires on a big dual sport. The fronts were good, but I had better luck with the Pirelli MT21 front in the biggest size. 606's are about as good as any DOT tire made. I'm still running the 3.25 MT21 in front on my KLX for hardcore off road, and it's great. I've been running the Kenda Trakmaster on the rear based on many inputs on this forum, and I gotta say that it's done way better than I would have anticipated in really rough, rocky off road stuff at our enduro course. I figured it would be a cheap and decent tire, but frankly it seems to outperform its pricepoint but a large margin IMO. Both the Pirelli and Kenda have worked flawlessly in the Nuetech tubeless mode.

One can't go wrong with 606's. They work in as a broad a range of use as you can ask for, and their highway manners are excellent.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
One can't go wrong with 606's. They work in as a broad a range of use as you can ask for, and their highway manners are excellent.

Thanks for that info TNC.

I have always used MX tyres off road and lived with the dodgy street grip as its off road grip I'm chasing.
The front will be the real test for me.
I can generally ride around a slippery back end but its not my style to have the front go loose.
Hooting down a gravel road at 90kph with no steering gets the sphincter working over time.

I also run low PSI off road. 10-12.
With MX tyres and 15PSI or more, for me the bike doesn't feel like it wants to turn in and I hate that feeling.
And you can't be too aggressive on the anchors either.

Over hear there is a lot of pee gravel so you could say that grip is at best minimal.
But if you treat a bit like sand and use an aggressive **** pattern and low PSI, well, it works for me.

Last edited by neilaction; 02-23-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

i just put a t63 rear and irc battle rallye up front. kinda wishing i atleast went with a rallye raid up front and a trackmaster rear, but i was broke and got what was cheap.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I've just ordered a new set 606, rear and 908F front. Did a good job at chunking some **** off the rear today on a few river beds and dry creeks. Rocks anyone? I confess to having a couple of naps too on one particular rutted out dry, loose rocky hill. Doh! No damage though (myself or the bike,) so life rolls on.

150 km in the 36oC heat. Phew! Fun but!

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 02-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

No ride report pics Woz? Naps are ok, If your bike isn't taking a nap every once in a while you aren't pushing the limits. Glad nothing broke.
Neil I've had good results with the D606 rears too, I think they are a good compromise for the riding I do, which is unfortunately a lot of slab. They wear well and do pretty good off the pavement. haven't tried the fronts.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 02-23-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Ahh new rubber, is there anything better?