Aftermarket pipe and Header melting airbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I ran a powercore4 and a powerbomb for a couple of years before I pulled my smog crap and had no issues with either the airbox or the rear signals melting.
I can easily believe you and others with the air injection didn't have issues of too much heat. This usually only occurs when an "over rich" condition was present. The unburned fuel in the combustion chamber gets burned in the exhaust system as intended by the design of the air injection system...cleaner tailpipe emissions. If your jetting was optimal, you probably wouldn't get excessive heat, and even in many cases where a rich mixture was present, plastics wouldn't all necessarily melt or have issues. Most don't notice the heat the air injection system "can" cause...especially with black or stainless header pipes. I noticed it most on the chrome header pipes that multicylinder road bikes had when owners installed 4-into-1 systems and other performance features requiring richer jetting. Many of those setups "blued" the header pipes badly. Yes, some of it was aggravated by the fact that most aftermarket exhaust headers were single wall vs. double-wall, but even many double-wall chrome header pipes blued when performance mods brought about richer jetting changes. When this air injection system came out, we recommended that owners disable the system when installing aftermarket performance components that usually required rejetting. And while blued header pipes aren't a concern for us KLX owners, some of the plastic melting scenarios could be traced back to the air injection system in some cases...or just poor fitment and clearance issues as already stated.

Over the years I've had numerous Kawasaki's with this system. On road bikes it wasn't much of an issue other than bluing the header pipes. However, on the first of several KLR's I had, I noticed the extra heat when crawling along at slow off road speeds. The heat transmitted to the leg was noticeably greater with the air injection system operating than without it. From that point on I always disabled the system.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC:
Why do you hate clean air?

he he.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
TNC:
Why do you hate clean air?

he he.
Well Scott, you know I'm getting up in years, and I really don't want others to enjoy clean air and good health after I'm gone. Besides, I like sticking it to Al Gore every chance I get.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well Scott, you know I'm getting up in years, and I really don't want others to enjoy clean air and good health after I'm gone. Besides, I like sticking it to Al Gore every chance I get.
Burn some tires and garbage you old fart!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Burn some tires and garbage you old fart!
But of course. I'm surprised you can't see the thick, black smoke from your house in Idaho.

Well, are you getting your snowmobile prepped yet up there?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
But of course. I'm surprised you can't see the thick, black smoke from your house in Idaho.

Well, are you getting your snowmobile prepped yet up there?
I'm thinking about prepping the snowmobile. It really should be done. Need to get back on the horse, ya know? But picked up a '73/'74 Honda CR250M barn find that may take some of my winter spare time. Also, the GF wants to get her '71 LeMans into the shop for a few projects. For some strange reason I would rather get my fingers dirty than break a leg

Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking about prepping the snowmobile. It really should be done. Need to get back on the horse, ya know? But picked up a '73/'74 Honda CR250M barn find that may take some of my winter spare time. Also, the GF wants to get her '71 LeMans into the shop for a few projects. For some strange reason I would rather get my fingers dirty than break a leg
Oh my!...a CR250M?...and you're dissin' me on polluting the planet? Al Gore just had a mini-stroke.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

over rich condition

Yes Yes that is it you hit the nail on the head i am running very rich since i but the t36-68 carb on

i really didnt want to lean it out since my plans are going to the 351 over the winter

and the bike ran just fine over 5000 RPMs

the bike is now put away and a waiting the upgrade

TnT your right more then wrong that is Scary