Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Aftermarket pipe and Header melting airbox

has any one had this problem
recently i noticed the bottom corner of my airbox was melted to my pipe

my pipe is with in .125" (3mm) from the side frame

kind of confusing to me

so i went and wrapped the pipe with exhaust pipe wrapping (left over from the Harley )

Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've seen mention of this before, but I was wondering what the pattern was in terms of what aftermarket header and what year model of bike. My '06 with a full Muzzy setup has no signs of heat damage to the airbox, and there appears to be a good deal of clearance. I'm also wondering how many of those with a melting airbox are still running the air-injection system in the exhaust? Mine is removed.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

i removed mine also

FMF header and Q4 pipe

Year 2012

Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I have posted this before about the EFi model but to anyone having fitting problems with the FMF.
....One of the few things that is different on the EFi & the carb model, is the airbox is a slightly different shape & sits about an inch (1,5cm) lower in the frame. The FMF exhaust is made for the carb model.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...x-36546/page2/

Last edited by JoelThailand; 10-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Joel, you write in that thread that you would do a more permanent fix later. Did you ever or did you just keep it that way?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke
Joel, you write in that thread that you would do a more permanent fix later. Did you ever or did you just keep it that way?
No, my quick fix turned out to be a neat & very strong way to permanently solve the melting issue by lowering the exhaust! I couldn't think of a better way in the end & eventually just put some nicer looking washers & better locking nuts on a few months later but it was only a cosmetic change really.

I was a little pissed with FMF at the time until I saw a carb model airbox side by side with the EFi airbox, a subtle but significant difference in frame mounting!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC, "Air-injection system in the exhaust." I have an FMF Power Core. What is it? What does it do an what is the difference if it is present or removed?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Air injection into the exhaust is to meet emission standards. The added air aids in burning any "fuel" that's heading for the tailpipe.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
TNC, "Air-injection system in the exhaust." I have an FMF Power Core. What is it? What does it do an what is the difference if it is present or removed?
The reason I mentioned it is because it can cause very high temps in the exhaust, hence the possibility of melting plastics close to the exhaust. When this air injection first came out by Kawasaki, lots of owners "blued" their chrome header pipes by extreme heat during jetting experiments.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I ran a powercore4 and a powerbomb for a couple of years before I pulled my smog crap and had no issues with either the airbox or the rear signals melting.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket pipe and Header melting airbox