Aftermarket exhaust optons

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Aftermarket exhaust optons

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Arethe 250cc and 300cc pipes different? Some posts say I need to use a 300cc pipe because the cylinder mount is different then the 250cc version. Others say the 300cc pipe works on a factory spec KLX-250S. I don't want to buy a 250cc pipe and then have to replace it if/when I upgrade to a 331/340cc big bore kit.
Some like the HMF & 2 Bros are made for the 250S & will bolt rihght on. Any 300 pipe will work with the 300 headeror anycomplete system will work, IE FMF, Pro Circuit, stock 300R, Muzzy, White Bros, etc. They are all fine if/when you upgrade.

Looking at the various options, most seem to need to be repacked. How big a deal is this? How often do theyneed to berepacked? The Staintune seems to be more expensive but, it never needs to be repacked. Is this a better option and worth the extra expense? Where would I find a Staintune in the USA?
Anyone who rides anything will eentually require repacking, garage queens may not. As far as Staintune, I hear its a good pipe with its stainless packing & all, but I wonder if thery get louder as the miles accumulate & the packing fills with carbon & looses some of its sound deading attributes.. I have no evidence, I just wonder about it.

Comparing the popular muffler options, what are the relative costs and features? Are some a lot louder then others? I want something that won't bother the other folks around me but, it doesn't need to be "silent" either.
Yes some have quiet cores (2 Bros, Muzzy, HMFetc.) & some are just "quiet" right out of the box (FMF Q series, Pro Circuit 496, etc). Also make sure it has a spark arrestor, no need to not have one.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The Staintune only a slip on? Looks nice.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, or if youbuy the Staintune header pipeand muffler you have a complete system

Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

klxer, does white bros make a exhaust system for the klx...i had white bros for my hondas ,i couldnt find it so i went with big gun

Old 09-05-2007, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive seen an E-Series, I would doubt any of the newer stuff. It would be listed for the 300.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

https://hmfengineering.com/shop.php?category_id=690

The HMF Engineering Elliptical Can: Aluminum Slip-On for $240 plus shipping with the $20 discount from their forum looks mighty tempting with a claimed 2.5HP increase. Does anyone ride one of thesethat can comment on its build quality and performance? The larger build volume in addition to the quiet core insert looks like it would be a great performing muffler that would have a deeper softer tone then some of the other options.

I could always add a better pipe later but, it looks like the factory pipe offers a little better torque down lowversus more horsepower on the top end. More torque down low would be sweet for pleasure rides on rural roads where I'm doing 45MPH and enjoying the scenery.

When I big bore, I think that would be the time to upgrade the exhaust pipe to the muffler.

Thanks again!

Edited to add some data from the HMF Engineering forum

HMF slip on Horsepower. 20.8.
HMF slip on Torque. 14.7.

all stock Horsepower. 18.3.
all stock Torque 13.0

HMF muffler weighs 5.15
Stock muffler weighs 8.20

Stock muffler 80db @ idle.
Stock muffler 88db @ 5,250 rpm.

HMF Slip on open 87db@ idle.
HMF slip on open 95db @5,250 rpm.

HMF slip on w/quiet core insert 80db@ idle.
HMF slip on w/ quiet core insert 89db @ 5,250 rpm

Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM

I just ordered a FMF power core,FMF jet kit and unifilter should all be here late this week or early next.I'm really looking forward to the changes this will make to the bike.I read on the forum that the 13 tooth front sprocket is the same part # as ninja 250 is this correct.I will do all the free mods at the same time as I install new stuff.Is there a special tool needed to take the tps sensor off the carb for removal.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The FMF Racing Power Bomb SS Header and Q4 Muffler is the system that I'm going to go with.
I’ve used FMF products on many bikes with great results and exceptional build quality.

millman, why are you removing the throttle position sensor?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

It was one of the steps on that HMF page to take out the carb i think. You just unplug it, pulls appart by pressing down on the tab. may need a flathead screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust optons