Aftermarket exhaust optons

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Aftermarket exhaust optons

After reading a lot about the various exhaust options, I'm a little confused with some contradictory things I read.

Arethe 250cc and 300cc pipes different? Some posts say I need to use a 300cc pipe because the cylinder mount is different then the 250cc version. Others say the 300cc pipe works on a factory spec KLX-250S. I don't want to buy a 250cc pipe and then have to replace it if/when I upgrade to a 331/340cc big bore kit.

The next question and most likely initial purchase is a replacement muffler. I can drill out a factory muffler but, that won't get rid of the catalytic converter which I'm pretty sure is going to be a hot S.O.B. The exhaust flow is still going to be somewhat restricted even ifI ream out the "butt plug" welded into the factory muffler so, a new slip on muffler seems like a good starting point.

Looking at the various options, most seem to need to be repacked. How big a deal is this? How often do theyneed to berepacked? The Staintune seems to be more expensive but, it never needs to be repacked. Is this a better option and worth the extra expense? Where would I find a Staintune in the USA?

Comparing the popular muffler options, what are the relative costs and features? Are some a lot louder then others? I want something that won't bother the other folks around me but, it doesn't need to be "silent" either.

If I missed some good threads, please let me know. I was a little surprised I didn't see something in the stickies in this forum. Maybe I missed something reading about sprockets and spark plug options.

Thanks again for helping me with the newbie questions!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Aftermarket exhaust optons

98% of aftermarket pipes will be louder than the factory stock. The stock pipe is rated at 80db while an aftermarket maybe 90db or more. A Muzzy is about94-96db. So quiet enough to not wake the neighbors is going to be out the question. Just don't gun it, is my suggestion.

As for the catalytic converter being a hot S.O.B.. Yes its hot, I should know from today. I've been branded by it, and now have a 1" diameter burn blister from it.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post
The Staintune seems to be more expensive but, it never needs to be repacked. Is this a better option and worth the extra expense? Where would I find a Staintune in the USA?
The Staintune is the best ... bar none, quality costs. Having said that yes they are pricey. Have a look here for Staintune in the states http://www.staintune.com.au/dealers_usa.htm
Staintune also make a header which fits their muffler as well as far as I know it also fits the stock muffler. If you have any questions email sales@staintune.com.au they are friendly and helpful.
Cheers

Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Garry!

Last night I did a lot of searching from their website and really didn't find much. It seems the USA dealers all carry the super sport and BMW parts with nothing for the KLX-250S. I did find one site that had a vague reference to a KLX-250/300 option but, the website was so bad it didn't inspire confidence.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

No Garry, mine's the best... MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!

It never needs re-pack and is TITANIUM rather than stainless steel...neener, neener, neener!!!!

Where are all the BG an Muzzy owners when you need them?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

The website isn't the greatest, then again they make very very good exhausts not websites. If they don't have any available in the States they can order them from Australia[8D]
This is off the website
Our US distributors stock good supplies of all of our more popular products and these can generally be delivered overnight. Delivery time for special order items to the U.S. is usually 2 to 4 weeks

Dean you were pretty keen on the Staintune before you found your ummm nasser umm beet thingy, which I doubt is available outside Japan

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, my props still go out to Staintune though. They make some mighty fine exhausts.

Try this link for U.S. sales and support, Sid.

http://www.mredsmoto.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=111

Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Is the Four Stroke Works header pipe the only one that mounts the factory heat shield? Do some of the others come with heat shields? I'm not a fan of header pipe or catalytic converter burns!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

If you actually ride a bike for more than 500 miles before selling it you will have to repack any of the packed mufflers....simple fact. The manufacturers give an hr based rating on when the exhaust should be repacked but that is typically for race type conditions, the general consensus was to repack the muffler once per year. More often as required by the sound getting louder and performance dropping off. Pick your poison, they all do the essentially the same thing and you will always have someone telling you that theirs is better.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust optons