After new head and intake valves.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: After new head and intake valves.....

Eric, did they ever find the piece that had come off of the tensioner? Another thing that you could get that is fairly inexpensive is a mechanics stethoscope they work very well for pin pointing noises. I have also worked on cars profesionaly for a number of years and have seen brand new parts come right out of the box bad, there is a possibilty that the new head is no good. But by the sounds of the dealership/mechanic it is probably not likely. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric,
I'd be surprised with as loud as that is if it is the cam chain. Also if the cam chain had that much slack in it the timing would be messed up enough to run rough. The quickest way to find something at this point would be to remove the valve cover and inspect for anything "shiney". Whatever is making that noise has to be leaving a mark. Check the paws on the acr, if the exhaust cam is misaligned by just a fraction everything will run ok but the paws can be hammering on the valve cover or that part of the head. (had that happen on a RMZ once) But again thats way to loud to be the cam chain.
I would have responded earlier but I just got back from a 6 day ride.
Good luck, and please don't take it back to the incompetent dealer.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Stop in the store is you have the time. Pittsburgh Cycle Center, 1216 Ensign Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15226. 412-431-5878 select parts and ask for Glenn

Old 06-27-2007, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

The reason i have to take it back to the same dealer is because if i take it to another dealer and they replace parts that the other shop did kawi will see that as double and charge me for it.
Oh yea, whatever . Your bike is broken, the thing is coveredunder a Kaw warranty. Any Kaw dealer can fix it. Double installing parts has nothing to do with anything.Their internal fraud checks don't change the specifics of the contract for your warranty.Take itto another dealer, the person at Kawyoutalked to sounds like theyare related to the idiot that fixed your machine when it was broken.Just find another dealer, drop it off, wait for service to get to it, and let them fix it. I'm still convinced that nearly all the "warranty" stuff from thelastservice was caused by the work and notany defects or consequential damages.

This is stressing me out and you have the problem. Please, someone giveEMS a break. He just wants to ride.

I am not afraid of my cam chain tensioner. Tell me specifically how you want the removal and pictures and I'll do it.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well the mechanic was arguing with me about it. Mine is extended or out all the way, and i didnt think it should be, because it can not take any more slack out of the cam chain if its out all the way. So i called kawi and talked to thier tech guys, and i was right, its not supposed to be out all the way, friggin idiot..... What pisses me off is that i can fix it better, but i bought the warranty to cover any big expenses..... if it wasnt under warranty id be doing it my self....[:@]

Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your cam chain is toast then right?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

the "mechanic" told me its "within" spec.....ok lets assume that he knows how to measure it correctly, if its not the chain.... there is 3 sprockets, and those nylon guides in there that could be worn.......they dont havea freekin clue whats wrong with it..... and they must think im stupid... so far, i know more than the mechanic, and i dont work there or do it for a living.......[:@][:@]

Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Within spec is not with the adjuster fully extended. I haven't even looked at the manual but I can tell you that much. I hate to even propose it but try contacting Kawi and stating your position again, ie several trips to idiot mechs, several months w/no bike, as such you will do the work and they will supply the parts. When you think about it, its really better for Kawi this way as they won't have to pay $65/hr for ******** to work on it and then screw it up again. I'd say its worth a shot.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

When i talked to them before they wouldnt even really tell me anything, all they kept saying was, "you have to take it back to the dealer"...... so i doubt that will work.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Serenity now!!!!!!

Quick Reply: After new head and intake valves.....