After Getting Water Out of the Engine-then what??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default After Getting Water Out of the Engine-then what??

As my story said in my hard strting post, my Son had a run in with some water and I have been having a hard time getting it running. I think that I have all of the water out, the gas is clean, the exhaust is dry, the headlight is dry. I put in new oil and a filter -the new oilhas some milkyness even though I haven't been able to start it yet.
But, WHEN I DO GET IT RUNNING -what is the recommendation. CanI safely run it just a couple of minutes to get the oil warm and running and then change it again and repeat the process until no signs of water?
Do I have to change the filter everytime? I changed it now and figured I'd change it as soon as things cleared a little and then change it againon the last change?
Thanks, Glen

Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: After Getting Water Out of the Engine-then what??

did you drain the float bowl? if not then that might be why it won't start. Also change your plug(if you haven't already). if it were me i'd get it running for a good long time to really heat up the motor.i'd probably change the oil and CHECK the filter for any signs of water. if it's milky in there then i'd change that too otherwise i'd leave it in there. i'm fairly cheap and lazy so i'd probably get it going and just ride it.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

open the drainplug slowly until water starts to come out. The water will come out first because oil rizes to the top of water. when you see oil coming out tighten it back up. I would crank it over a few times with the spark plug removed to blow out any water from the top end. drain the carb and then she should start. Run it for a few minutes and repeat opening the drain plug just till water comes out. once most of the water is out, make sure the level is ok in the window then run it until hot and drain it all out. Refill it and repeat 2 or 3 times. then run it for a while and then finally change the oil and filter together.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Good reading on this ADV thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=dumped+water

Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 AM

From first hand experience. I sank mine to where you could barely see the mirror and it even turned over a couple time under water. To make it worse we were 10 miles from no where. It took an hour to get the water out of the piston, exhaust, air filter and box, float bowl and carb. After all that it still wouldn't fire. Found out that from the hot plug hitting the water, it cracked and wouldnt get a spark. Luckily someone had another plug that match and we got it running to get to a filling station to change the oil a couple of time.

Once I made it home, I changed the oil and filter a couple of times running Synthetic oil in it
The water doesn't mix with Synthetic oil and will supposedly boil out the water.
The oil(and any water still left) is pumped thru the filter so its a good idea to change it when you change the oil. I ended up putting two filters in before I got ride of the milky color in my sight glass. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Fundamentals: You need a spark and something flamable to ignite. 'Millk' in the bottom endwhile bad, shouldn't prevent an explosion in the top. Make sure you're getting a spark and have clean fuel to detonate. There might be water in your top end. I'd remove the carb, open it up and hit it with some PJC Super Cleaner. While the carb is off, let the top end dry out. But first things first, make sure you're getting a spark otherwise nothing will work.

Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

IT'S ALIVE!!!!
Thanks everyone.
I covered all of the above and also realized that the oil situation shouldn't keep it from running. The new plug had spark, but I wasn't so sure that it looked strong.
I had pulled the screw on plug on the magneto side cover looking for water and had milk. Apparently this space has a vent hole to the motor and when tipped oil can cross over.
When the engine filled with water -it and oil got into the magneto side. Itwas about 2" deep, so I pulled the cover and totally cleaned all of the oil out -I was amazed at the way the windingsfor this bike are mounted on the inside of the removable cover and the flywheel is open towards the cover -it looks backwards!
Anyway, I put everything back togethercranked it and it started right up. I ran it up to operating temperature and changed the oil...ran it again for about 5 minutes and changed the oil and ran it up and down the road for about 15 minutes. TonightI'm goinig to change the oil and filter and run it for the weekend and then change the oil and filter again.
Thanks again for eveyones ideas!
My son and I will be hitting the trails this weekend....but maybe going around the deep water, which has gotten deeper with all the rain!
Take care, Glen

Old 05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear she's on song again.
A lesson learned.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

good job... glad all is well....

Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome dude. Love happy endings.

Quick Reply: After Getting Water Out of the Engine-then what??