Advice on electrics for the KLX.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
Then use two standard auto relays (one can operate the other) and break the tail light wire on the subframe somewhere and run it to the headlight housing to the second relay. It may only be a few watts but if your going this far to kill the power consumption before starting, then why not get it all?
Maybe because the tail light's power comsumption is so miniscule -you already said so much- that it's not worth adding another relay and running two more wires to the back of the bike.

I have a manual switch for cutting my heallight that works like a champ on those cold mornings where I live. I can crank on the starter until I'm worried about burning the darn thing up with that headlight load eliminated...and that's with aftermarket cams that have no ACR.

Cutting the lail light load is a case of big time diminishing returns. Definitely not worth adding a relay and extra wiring.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Cutting the lail light load is a case of big time diminishing returns. Definitely not worth adding a relay and extra wiring.
Thats what I figured.

Granted, nothing is simpler than just wiring in a switch.
But I like out of the square stuff

Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Maybe because the tail light's power comsumption is so miniscule -you already said so much- that it's not worth adding another relay and running two more wires to the back of the bike.

I have a manual switch for cutting my heallight that works like a champ on those cold mornings where I live. I can crank on the starter until I'm worried about burning the darn thing up with that headlight load eliminated...and that's with aftermarket cams that have no ACR.

Sorry guys, but when it comes to electrical I tend not to over look anything or half a** stuff. The whole point was to kill power so the starter could have all the amps for starting. Correct?

I have had a car with a bad alternator not start, it was just clicking the solenoid, I shut off the STOCK radio and that was enough wattage to allow the starter to turn enough to start the car. Let me ask you this...How many watts do you think a stock radio in a civic uses at low volume? I'd say about the same as a tail light! If the bike is fuel injected then there is even more drain when that key is turned on too.

A bikes stator does not produce the wattage near that of a car. Also the battery does not store the CCA of that of a larger vehicle either. So yes a 5 watt tail light can make a big difference to someone experiencing electrical problems and not trying to start their bike in the driveway where they live and have access to jumper cables or another vehicle they can jump in.

Last edited by slippery750; 08-22-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Westoz - Here is a picture of the 2 gal rotopax on the 09 250S.
Name:  KLX250S004.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  166.0 KB
Name:  KLX250S006.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  143.9 KB

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Im guessing the headlight isnt linked to the charging system?

On some older bikes the regulator used the fact that the light was on to know when/how to charge the battery.

Has anyone had any issues with installing a switch in line with the ground wire?

Has anyone put a hid kit in one of these to lessen the current draw?

Cheers
Paul
________
Vanilla

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barbz
Im guessing the headlight isnt linked to the charging system?

On some older bikes the regulator used the fact that the light was on to know when/how to charge the battery.

Has anyone had any issues with installing a switch in line with the ground wire?

Has anyone put a hid kit in one of these to lessen the current draw?

Cheers
Paul
-Headlight is not related to proper regulator loading on this bike. All three phases of the Alternator go straight to regulator/rectifier before going anywhere else. No separate lighting coils, etc.
-Ground wire of what? Kill the main and you'll kill the CDI...not good... Headlight ground? No problem.
-Been tried with the stock fixture, but the lens causes a dead spot immediately in front of the bike that extends out too far to be safe. HID conversions work best with a clear lens. Shoot for an aftermarket fixture if you're leaning toward HID.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, that will be job #1 this weekend - pickup an 09 model tomorrow

I meant to say the earth wire for the light only sorry - easiest way to kill it.
Cheers
Paul
________
Justin Bieber Fans

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barbz
Thanks, that will be job #1 this weekend - pickup an 09 model tomorrow

I meant to say the earth wire for the light only sorry - easiest way to kill it.
Cheers
Paul
Good on ya, congrat's!

I should have qualified my HID statement. The 09 headlight is perfectly suitable for HID. The 06/07 is not, due to the lens.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheers - will see how adventurous I get.

ta
Paul
________
Pov Xxx

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:50 AM.