Adjusting Suspension Sag

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Adjusting Suspension Sag

Hi!

I finally checked the sag on my "new to me" 2007 KLX250S with 2,100 miles. The PO had added stiffer springs front and rear.

4.2 inches on the rear or about 38% with me on the bike! It took a while, but I finally got it adjusted to 33% sag.

When I checked the front, it had 1.2 inches of sag with me on the bike! I weigh 245 before suiting up! Restoring the forks to atmosphere pressure increased the sag to 2.0 inches or about 19%. I want 2.8 inches or 25% sag. Does the KLX have spacers that can be shortened to control sag? Are there other ways to change sag on the forks? I have adjusted nothing on the "clickers" yet, but assume that has nothing to do with sag.

I will probably change the fork oil while addressing the sag problem. Any tutorials with pictures covering this procedure on this bike? Thanks!

Donnie

PS: If any of you 250 pounders out there has some suspension adjustment suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Last edited by Donnie; 05-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The clickers were set at 11, I just turned them to 17, but I don't think anything changes after 16. Anyway, sag is now 2.1 inches or 19%. I need a bit more sag!

Donnie

Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I'm also interested in this but haven't searched the forums here or on ADV rider. As a fellow "solid" guy, I know my bike would like to be set properly for me and I know I will like how it handles more. Right now it's a little neutral in steering, and I'm confident I'm on stock springs. Hopefully someone will post a quick link to a finished write up on setting sag and doing forks.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Donnie, did you measure static sag? I'm curious what those numbers would be.

Just two days ago I started almost identical thread here:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32612
Might be good idea to merge the discussion to keep all the info in one place since we are talking and pondering about the exact same thing.

There are two parameters that affect the race sag right, pre-load and spring rate. You need two input parameters (static sag and race sag) in order to determine if both pre-load and spring rate are correct for you.

"The PO had added stiffer springs front and rear."
Do you know the spring rates he put in?

Oh, and the damping clickers do not affect sag.

--
Mikko

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 05-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Donnie, did you measure static sag? I'm curious what those numbers would be.

Just two days ago I started almost identical thread here:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32612
Might be good idea to merge the discussion to keep all the info in one place since we are talking and pondering about the exact same thing.

There are two parameters that affect the race sag right, pre-load and spring rate. You need two input parameters (static sag and race sag) in order to determine if both pre-load and spring rate are correct for you.

"The PO had added stiffer springs front and rear."
Do you know the spring rates he put in?

Oh, and the damping clickers do not affect sag.

--
Mikko

I am aware of checking the two different sag numbers, but I normally check the "race" sag only. I am a Trans American Trail type rider and don't do jumps and the like. I am only interested in getting a total sag of 33% on the rear and 25% on the front. This has worked well on my non-competitive riding. I can adjust to the 33% on the rear, but have not been successful on the front. I was hoping there was some spacers used in the front end as it is on my KLR and Goldwing so that I could simply adjust the spacer length to get the total sag from its current 19% down to the 25% that I want.

Donnie

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Rechecked mine a while back. See here>>>>https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ghlight=static

Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Rechecked mine a while back. See here>>>>https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ghlight=static

Thanks!