Old 09-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Adjusted my suspension the other day

I just maxed everything out since I'm fat

Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 AM

LV,

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a lot.

It looks like I need to revisit my suspension. I am good on the front. I went a little firmer than you did. I need to check it again, but I think I went 3 clicks out from bottomed-out (BO). On the rear, I definitely need to back off on my preload as I have it really cranked down. My rebound clicker is at 3 clicks from BO. I must assume that my compression clicker is at 14 clicks out from BO since I have not adjusted it at all.

Anyway, you have given me the ammo that I need to attack it again. Thanks again.

Chris

Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Finally got mine adjusted today too. Everything was set way to soft but it feels good now.

Thanks LordVngr

Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff guys. A nice gap filler for those who need stiffer springs, but are not quite ready to lay out the cash or tear apart the forks/shock. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-03-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet deal, lookie what i found... SOFT SUSPENSION!!! hehehe maybe i dont need a new spring after all.... off to the garage!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

sweet deal, lookie what i found... SOFT SUSPENSION!!! hehehe maybe i dont need a new spring after all.... off to the garage!
Just curious, How's the suspension now? What adjustments have you made? Also, What's your weight? Thanks. I am going to work on mine tonight.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I just go out & ride & if there is something I dont like then I adjust as I go. I dont worry about counting clicks or whatever other than if I am disassembling. When it feels good it feels good. For me the rear felt too springy, like a pogo stick--not enough compression or rebound dampening so I clicked till that went away. For the front it just felt like not engough spring so I didn't even bother. I got new fork springs very late last fall & have not got a chance to tune from there.

For whatever reason I seem to be far more picky about rebound & not compression. Every bike I ever had with adjustable rebound I had to mess around with, while I barley touch compression adjusters, the KLX shock may be the lone exception. Once on my XRL somehow the rebound moved just 1 click during a ride (the XRL has a large wheel for rebound, not a small screw like the KLX so it is more prone to being moved by debris) & I could tell by how the rear end started kicking up. Same on my street bike, the rear end felt like it was kicking up to me, so I tuened 1/8 turn at a time till it went away (took .25-.375 turns--this shock had clickerless adjustments). My point:if you dont feel like something needs to be changed don't worry about it unless you are trying to shave lap times or something.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is a little tip to make these on ride adjustments easy. I keep a small blade screw driver in my handle bar pad. Just unvelcro it a bit &slip it in the slit of the bar padding & velcro the cover closed. Then its right there to grab when you need to hop off & adjust quick.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry for the late reply... yeah i went and set them all back to stock settings... they were a few clicks over and then i rode it around for a while... went and tried to ride some whoops and almost died... the rebound was wayyyyy to hard so i loosened that right up and i like it alot better now... i kinda like the front to be a little stiffer so when i come up to logs i can kinda half wheelie over it and have it just boom shoot up the front end and just try and hump it over after that... but i find that when i ride the street i like it to be pretty stiff... i dont bother changing them back and forth i just set it for the woods and deal with it on the street. its not like were racing motards here.... or are we???[8D]

i would just say do what KLXer said and adjust as you ride your regular terrian... you will find that the more you adjust and play around with it you'll be a little more pickier about how its set up for what your going to ride...

Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

My fronts were at 11 clicks. I set them to 7 + bled the forks VIA the screws on top. The Brake dive is better but I may turn them in a click or 2 more. I want to test them on some jumps first though. My shock was 14 compression and 11 on rebound. I set compression to 12 clicks and rebound to 7 clicks.

Quick Reply: Adjusted my suspension the other day