adding a different coolant to OEM coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm considering changing my 2009 klx 250 coolant to Kawasaki aluma cool. What's in there now is green.. I'm planning on running 2 jugs of water through the radiator before adding the Aluma cool.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
A lot of this antifreeze mixing issue is overblown. Still, when the whole cooling system in our KLX only holds a little over 1.5 quarts, why putz with it? A lot of the hysteria about mixing coolants is based on older antifreeze solutions. There really were some compounds in many older formulas that were not at all compatible with each other. And...that's not to say that if you search for some off beat brands and types of antifreeze, that you still can't find some incompatible formulas. Today's Dexcool, Prestone, and most other ethylene glycol formulas will mix with no ill effects, and they state so quite clearly on their containers.

But...we're talking about 1.5 quarts of coolant mix...that's about 25 oz. of antifreeze. You own a motorcycle that's worth anywhere from $1500-$5000 and you won't buy 25 oz. of antifreeze?...which is something you can also use in the family car when needed? I think we're swatting gnats with a gattling gun.

Here's something to perhaps consider about using Engine Ice or other formulas that give dire warnings about mixing with conventional antifreeze. If you're out in Timbuktu and overheat a bit so that some coolant is expelled out the overflow, will you be able to obtain Engine Ice or whatever special cool juice you're using to top of the system? Will you be carrying some Engine Ice? If you only ride in locations where you'll be home every evening, then this is probably a non-issue. But if you ride in remote areas for days at a time, I'd recommend using only antifreeze/water solutions or additives that clearly recommend/allow mixing. In an overheat you can just add water to get back to camp, town, or a gas station as a stopgap. But when you want to get everything back to spec, will you find or have your special cool juice available? If Engine Ice really warns against mixing it with antifreeze, I wouldn't use it. Redline's coolant additive, Royal Purple's Purple Ice, and similar super coolant additives all allow and even recommend mixing with conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze. Why paint yourself into a corner? Truth be known, ethylene glycol and water is probably all our KLX will ever need for more than adequate performance and protection. I use Purple Ice from Royal Purple in the recommended ratio percentage, and I've used the Redline stuff...but...I wouldn't lose any sleep to use just water and antifreeze.
But, but,... You're in Texas! It doesn't get that cold there...

Really, you're right, why not grab a bottle or two of the stuff at a dealership or shop. I am running Hondaline in the 650 because that is what was on the shelf at the dealership when I did it. Not like it's two gallons.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about Kawa's, but from my experience and discussions in automotive engines the antifreeze acts as a lubicant for the water pump. So I would not recommend just using water, put some antifreez'in in it and ride! Bonus...Raises the boiling temp too!

Old 10-10-2023, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Anti Freeze

Originally Posted by durielk
I don't know about Kawa's, but from my experience and discussions in automotive engines the antifreeze acts as a lubicant for the water pump. So I would not recommend just using water, put some antifreez'in in it and ride! Bonus...Raises the boiling temp too!
Just use an anti freeze dedicated to aluminum engines. Thats it. Oh and yes, use distilled water. Usually drinking water contains Chlorine which is a caustic substance. distilled water is boiled and all additives are boiled out. Anti freeze does not lubricate the water pump. The water pump bearing in an automotive engine is a sealed bearing that never sees water. Ethylene Glychol will never freeze. Mixed with water 50 50 it too will never freeze. All you need in that mix is an additive for aluminum so it doesnt oxidize. Dont go crazy. And drain the cooling system, change the thermostat, flush and refill. Whats so hard about that. All these companies brag about theyre product. Did yo know that Prestone, widely known antifreeze, bottles its product for itself in the morning and in the afternoon, they bottle it for Kmart, Target, Pep boys, wal mart and many other name brands, all the same stuff.