adding a different coolant to OEM coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default adding a different coolant to OEM coolant?

My coolant level is almost at the "low" marker.

I purchased Engine Ice Engine Ice - Welcome and wondered if I can just add this to the OEM coolant or must I drain it before adding the Engine Ice?

My 250SF has about 1200 miles on it. Bought it used (only had 39 miles on the odometer).

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Nearly every name brand coolant and coolant additives are all compatible with each other these days, and you'd have to search to find any that aren't. You won't have any trouble mixing.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Coolant types

You can mix antifreeze brands, basically as long as they're the same color and type. You don't want to mix an OAT-type with a conventional (green) type.

www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Says on the FAQ page of the website that they do not recommend mixing with other coolant types.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
You can mix antifreeze brands, basically as long as they're the same color and type. You don't want to mix an OAT-type with a conventional (green) type.

www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf
I'm not so sure this color deal is true anymore. Red/orange Dex-Cool is compatible with yellow Prestone...and many others.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Says on the FAQ page of the website that they do not recommend mixing with other coolant types.
My bike is a 2009. Many of the "tips" in the FAQ are not necessarily for that model year. While the FAQs can be helpful I look more into my Qs because some data is a bit dated.

I also flipped through the 2009 service manual and nowhere (that I could find) did it say you should not mix different makes/brands/colors of coolant.

The only thing the manual says is the color is green.

I tried looking for a green coolant and could not find any so I went with the Engine Ice.

However, if there are others who believe this is the best course (do not mix) please post, especially if you have experience.

Also if anyone knows of a green coolant for the KLX250SF, please post.

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Engine Ice is a whole different thing is it not??
If I recall correctly (read about it quite awhile ago), the whole system MUST be completely flushed of "normal" antifreeze before using Engine Ice. Drain, fill with water, run briefly, drain. Repeat several more times. Only then install Engine Ice.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
I think wildcard was talking about the engine ice site.Engine Ice - F.A.Q
I think engine ice is a whole different antifreeze. I doubt it will really hurt anything to mix it with other types, but why take a chance. I'd flush it.
Dan

"""My manual says to use “ethylene glycol” or their specific brand, can I still use Engine Ice?

Typically, this is due to outdated standardization and also because many OEM’s manufacture and sell an ethylene glycol based product. They want you to buy their stuff. You can use Engine Ice.

Will it harm my gaskets or seals?

No, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant will not harm your seals and gaskets. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant meets or exceeds all AS™ (American Society for Testing and Materials) and SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Standards and Requirements. These are industry standards in most everything mechanical and engine-based, including motorcycles and cars.

Can you mix Engine Ice with other products or types of coolant and antifreeze?

We recommend you never mix ANY TYPE of coolant and antifreeze products. One reason is that propylene glycol and ethylene glycol do not mix well together. Another reason is that just because the base fluid may be similar, other additives and ingredients may not be. Just as you would not mix oils, and for the same reasons, you should not mix coolants and antifreezes.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, saw that last night dan888. I'm going to return the Engine Ice and pick up the Kawi coolant (which I also discovered last night). However my assumption is Kawi coolant will be able to mix with what I already have in the bike. *shrug*

Parts Detail Page - Kawasaki.com

I'd rather not go through the hassle of draining what I have already. I've got a 17-month old boy in the house. I'd rather spend time with him instead of going through the process.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'd just get a jug of any quality ethylene glycol antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water...distilled...not drinking water. We're talking about a little over 1.5 quarts of coolant for the whole system. Distilled water will limit the amout of minerals that can come in regular tap water. Mix the coolant ratio at about 60% water to 40% antifreeze and be done with it. 40% antifreeze still gets you down to freeze protection around -25 degrees and boil level of around 250 degrees. Unless you live in highly extreme cold, the higher water level cools the engine more efficiently. Many people think more antifreeze makes an engine run cooler. 50/50 mix is always a safe bet, but just a little more water ratio can run cooler.

Quick Reply: adding a different coolant to OEM coolant?