Added another horse to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 AM
Default RE: Added another horse to the stable

Great deal! Nice find for sure. It is great getting your wife on the bike. That is how I talked mine into letting me get my KLX. I got her a Suzuki DR 200 a couple of months before I picked up my bike.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej is that a skip **** tire? I can't tell, its 3:00 A.M.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot, guys. I personally have never seen a green and white one before. White, yellow, blue, and purple seemed to be the color scheme of those days.

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it myself. It feels very torquey, but it will comfortably do 55 MPH without buzzing it. We had a deal in the works with the local dealer on a left-over Suzuki DR200, but having ridden one before, I knew that 55 was about its limit. She felt that the DR200 was lighter than the XT225, even though on paper they are about the same. Once she saw this one though, it was all over.

I love restoring cars, and now I guess this bike kinda counts as a restoration. The cool thing about this bike is that it isn't all smogged up. It still has a Mikuni CV carb, but only 1 throttle cable. The fuel/air mixture screwisn't capped, and the stock pilot and main jets arelarger than the current XT225's. It even has a sticker on the tank the reads "High-Octane FuelRecommended".

Thanks Deej for the tire recommendation. Usually stock tires are pretty pricey, but those ones look good and are cheap enough. I'm ordering a set today.

I was playing around on the Web last night (unlike now, this is work ), just seeing what was out there for it. I told Joyce that we could turn it into a Supermoto like this...

...She made me shut down the PC.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with it myself. It feels very torquey, but it will comfortably do 55 MPH without buzzing it. We had a deal in the works with the local dealer on a left-over Suzuki DR200, but having ridden one before, I knew that 55 was about its limit. She felt that the DR200 was lighter than the XT225, even though on paper they are about the same. Once she saw this one though, it was all over.

I love restoring cars, and now I guess this bike kinda counts as a restoration. The cool thing about this bike is that it isn't all smogged up. It still has a Mikuni CV carb, but only 1 throttle cable. The fuel/air mixture screwisn't capped, and the stock pilot and main jets arelarger than the current XT225's. It even has a sticker on the tank the reads "High-Octane FuelRecommended".
The Serow is a much better bike than the DR200. The only advantage the DR has over the Serow is the size of the gas tank.

The Serow would cruise at 65-70 mph comfortably with me(185 lbs) on it all day long and although the power was no match to the KLX250S, it certainly wheelied much better than the KLX.

As for the gas, mine would ping like crazy if I didn't put super in it. Also since the tank is so small, you have to go to a gas station with individual hoses so you don't get a gallon and a half of whatever(usually low octane) the guy before you bought.