Added another horse to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Added another horse to the stable

I know this has nothing to do witha KLX, other than the only thing better than riding my KLX is ridingit with my girlfriend Joyce. But this was such aneatfind that I had to share...

Here's the story. A couple of Saturday's ago, Joyce dragged me out to some yard sales (we all have our crosses to bear... ).At one yard sale, back in the corner was a white and green dual-sport bike. The sign on it read "1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow- Bad Trans - Make Offer". Joyce immediately gravitated to the bike, so I checked it out. It had 4900 miles, shined like it was new, only had1 scratch on the headlight cowl, 1 on the front fender, and 1 on theright air scoop. The tires were worn, but there were no other blemishes on the bike anywhere (even the frame paint wasn't chipped), leading me to thinkit probably was never off-road.

I talked to the lady running the yard sale, who said that it's been hers since new.She only rode it to work in the summer. One day intraffic, she inched up at a stop light and the clutch wouldn't disengage, causingher to hit the car in front of her. That'swhere the scratches came from.Pulling the clutch lever felt like squeezing a marshmallow, even though it was adjusted. As soon as you put it in gear, the bike would lurch and stall. It ran very well in neutral though - fired right up, didn't smoke,and had no oil leaks. She wasgoing to have it fixed, but never did and the bikesat for5 years.Shelater bought a newbike, andjust wanted rid of the XT.I said "$500", she said "Sold!" By the time thepaper workwas done, I'd spent $625.

Ifigured that even if I put a grand into the bike, it's still cheaper than most usedXT225's go for, and in nicer shape. I gotit home, got a service manual, and started ripping and tearing. I pulled the cases off, and found the pushrod that opens the pressure plate was bent, keeping the pressure plate from fully disengaging the clutch. While I had it that far apart, I replaced the rest of the clutch too (new pressure plate, friction discs, steel plates, and clutch springs). The new clutch pushrod isbeefier than the stock one, so Yamaha must have addressed this problem at some point. $200.00 for the new clutch parts and a gasket kit, and the bike now runs and rides great! So forabout $850and a few hours of labor, I got Joyce a greatlittle dual-sport bike of her own.No, it's not a Kawasaki, but it isgreenand white.

You could haul a Caterpillar D-10 on this home-made rack! The steel anglesare 1/8", while thebars are 1/2" SOLID round stock. It has to weigh a ton. Joyce likes it though and it'sfunctional, so it stays... for now.

At 5'3", she fits on the bikepretty well. While I was working on the bike, she took her written test and got her motorcycle permit. Yesterday was her first ride on the highway, and she did pretty well.

The stock tires need replaced, and I'll probably put some type of 50/50 tire on it. Any suggestions?I want a tire that won't surprise her when cornering on the highway.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Added another horse to the stable

very cool - i hope to get my wife int he saddle of her own bike one of these days

Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

+2 - Excellent score!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome, that 94 looks really close to my wife's 06, not many changes in the look. Nice find indeed. + 1 on getting the wife a bike.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Man the more I look at that bike for $500 the more envious I get, you really got a good deal on that. I have seen bikes in that nice of shape and year go for $2500, I'll give you $851.00[8D]

Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3690

They are pretty close to the stock ones that came on the bike.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice bargin to find,and sure there are more hidden in the back of garages just waitin to be found.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Great find! I love it when a deal that you can't refuse comes my way! Congrats!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I used to have a '92 Serow. I always liked that green. You never see that color. Mine was typical late 80s/early 90s color.....White, Blue, & Pink.

Quick Reply: Added another horse to the stable