acrebis 3.7gal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default acrebis 3.7gal

Wanted to compare notes with other users of this tank. I got one with the bike and finally got around to installing it today.

Splashed a little fuel in it then rode it till it coughed for reserve, about 6 miles to the gas station and it took 3 gallons to fill.

Is this about typical? and how much can I pull out of reserve before I'm on the side of the road trying to splash reserve2 out of those side wings.

thanks, just trying to get a idea.

FWIW, the tank mounted up pretty ez on my '06. The choke does hit the petcock but is SO close to clearing I can either just put a flat on one side of the ****, or loosen and tilt the carb a hair. haven't adressed it, but it doesn't seem too big an issue. One thing i didn't expect was the green tank is translucent enough to see the fuel level. So at some point I'm going to index the fuel levels.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah the wings seem to hold gas that will never be used.....Why didn't they just make them solid? Hey on a different subject, whats with the Sheriff that shot his mother and father in law? YIKES! Been following that and still waiting for the reason.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

RB, the main petcock tube gets about 3 gallons, but the reserve petcock tube still gets nearly a half gallon in the main sump without the fuel in the wings. Even when you run the reserve out, the "wing" fuel can be tilted into the main sump to get you further. I dinked around with this around home with an MSR fuel bottle on the rear rack. I was surprised how much of the wing fuel you can actually coax into the sump. And unless you're doing wheelies and Supercross tabletops, you can keep the sump fuel pretty much in place during an emergency like this. You can get about 20-30 miles on the reserve tap depending on conditions, and then you have a little more in the wings if you really pushed the envelope.

On the choke ****, I have my petcock facing to the rear of the bike, so the hose is the only interference with the choke. I then pulled the choke plunger out of the carb and ground the plastice **** smoothly down to just a small nub on a bench grinder. It clears just fine now.

Last edited by TNC; 05-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yeah the wings seem to hold gas that will never be used.....Why didn't they just make them solid? Hey on a different subject, whats with the Sheriff that shot his mother and father in law? YIKES! Been following that and still waiting for the reason.
Classic DV. Makes no sense. The guy was just allowed back to work after time off for a back injury/surgery. Was on desk duty. His wife and kids are fine. The inlaws were the target.

We'll never know what triggered the event unless/if the kids were wise to it. Likely they woke up to the gunfire.

Sucks.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

i have drained 3.65 out of it without tipping the bike (well it was on it side a few times though). got kinda shocked when my dash said 220 miles or something like that. yes the wings are dead weight, but you can start a fire if you cant get out. i want to switch to the ims one day just because this tank it a little wide for what i want to do and makes the bike a bit to heavy full. ill definally keep it for adv rides though.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys, I like my clarke tank (looks better) but wanted to get the Acerbis dialed in so I could throw it on for some long rides coming up. It'll be on standby with a big rack and slab gearing. I have an KLR set up for the long adv rides but am having a ball with this little 250 for day and overnighter type rides as well as singletrack around home after work.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

both the wings and the choke problems are easily overcome.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the acerbis for protection; other then sticks going straight in to the radiators, I don't have to worry about supporting them. they should have put some inflatables in the wings that you could pump-up when low......then push to deflate when filling tank.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

What is the point of installing a tank that is only .7 of a gallon larger than stock. The Acerbis tank gives rad protection, way more fuel, with a lower centre of G, with a 25 $ pump and some messing around you can get every last drop out of the tank. Using the stock petcock and some tubing the choke works fine.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
What is the point of installing a tank that is only .7 of a gallon larger than stock. The Acerbis tank gives rad protection, way more fuel, with a lower centre of G, with a 25 $ pump and some messing around you can get every last drop out of the tank. Using the stock petcock and some tubing the choke works fine.
I need pictures!