Acerbis Tank Owners Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Default Acerbis Tank Owners Question

My question is to those who have the Acerbis Fuel Tank.

I have a 2006 KLX 250s that I am mounting the 3.7 gallon Acerbis Fuel Tank on. It has been noted that you will have some gas left in the front lower wings of the tank that you can not get unless you lay the bike over on it's side.
I remember reading somewhere that there is a modification you can do, with placeing fuel lines from the petcock into the lower wings to draw out the last bit of fuel. This does away with the reserve but, at least you can get all of the fuel.
Can someone explain this mod in detail with maybe some pics or direct me to the post for the info??????
I would like to do this mod to the tank before remounting the tank after I get the 351 big bore kit done.
Thanks!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:43 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1959
My question is to those who have the Acerbis Fuel Tank.

I have a 2006 KLX 250s that I am mounting the 3.7 gallon Acerbis Fuel Tank on. It has been noted that you will have some gas left in the front lower wings of the tank that you can not get unless you lay the bike over on it's side.
I remember reading somewhere that there is a modification you can do, with placeing fuel lines from the petcock into the lower wings to draw out the last bit of fuel. This does away with the reserve but, at least you can get all of the fuel.
Can someone explain this mod in detail with maybe some pics or direct me to the post for the info??????
I would like to do this mod to the tank before remounting the tank after I get the 351 big bore kit done.
Thanks!!!
I just responded to your post over on ADV. Here's my take on it.

Personally I think you're worried over nothing. I've had this tank on my '06 since the bike was new. I use my bike in the western U.S. in some of the most remote areas between fuel stops that you can imagine, hence the reason for this tank. I did some home tests to see how hard that fuel is to get to in a pinch. I was able to use everything but about .2 of a gallon, and I probably could have gotten to some of that by more aggressive rocking of the bike. The tank has a huge sump at the petcock location. When you get all the fuel out of the sump and still have fuel in the wings...and note that this can probably only be done on flat, level pavement...it's pretty easy to get the wing fuel with some easy rocking. You don't have to lay the bike on the ground or do crazy gyrations. If you've run all the fuel out of this tank shy of the .2 gallon left, you've probably gone a minimum of 175 miles to a max of 245 miles. If you planned that badly, maybe the rider has only himself to blame. If you're riding off road, you probably don't have to do anything. Almost any movement you get off road and even just heavy braking on road causes the wing fuel to go into the sump.

I've seen some pretty impressive hose and pump setups executed by some users of this tank to get all the fuel in the wings, but honestly I feel it's a solution looking for a problem. In the very worst case scenario, you just shake the wing fuel into the sump and concentrate on easy riding to your next fuel. Trust me, the appearance of fuel sitting in those wings in any notable amout to leave you stranded in the boonies is way overrated.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Agree with TNC. I've ran it down once on purpose (with a spare fuel bottle) and once with poorer planning. The latter was on smooth pavement where as I was riding, I felt the fuel running out and could "shake" the bike a little (brake, accel, and left-right) to keep going for a number of miles before laying the bike down on the left and finishing another 15 miles or so before the gas station with around 0.2 gallons left. It isn't a big deal unless you regularly intend on pushing the limits and if that's the case, bring some fuel bottles!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Just what you get before the reserve is already worth the swap to me. The rest is extra safety!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:26 AM
Default Acerbis 3.7 Gal install.

Originally Posted by TNC
I just responded to your post over on ADV. Here's my take on it.

Personally I think you're worried over nothing. I've had this tank on my '06 since the bike was new. I use my bike in the western U.S. in some of the most remote areas between fuel stops that you can imagine, hence the reason for this tank. I did some home tests to see how hard that fuel is to get to in a pinch. I was able to use everything but about .2 of a gallon, and I probably could have gotten to some of that by more aggressive rocking of the bike. The tank has a huge sump at the petcock location. When you get all the fuel out of the sump and still have fuel in the wings...and note that this can probably only be done on flat, level pavement...it's pretty easy to get the wing fuel with some easy rocking. You don't have to lay the bike on the ground or do crazy gyrations. If you've run all the fuel out of this tank shy of the .2 gallon left, you've probably gone a minimum of 175 miles to a max of 245 miles. If you planned that badly, maybe the rider has only himself to blame. If you're riding off road, you probably don't have to do anything. Almost any movement you get off road and even just heavy braking on road causes the wing fuel to go into the sump.

I've seen some pretty impressive hose and pump setups executed by some users of this tank to get all the fuel in the wings, but honestly I feel it's a solution looking for a problem. In the very worst case scenario, you just shake the wing fuel into the sump and concentrate on easy riding to your next fuel. Trust me, the appearance of fuel sitting in those wings in any notable amout to leave you stranded in the boonies is way overrated.
Hey, this thread is hella old but i just got an acerbis tank, 3.7 gal for my 1995 klx250r, i just need some advice on the overall install, i'm confused on where to install the brackets, and if i'm using the petcock that came with or not.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Pics, so we know what you're dealing with?

Old 02-20-2022, 01:08 AM
Default Figured it out/ Fuel line size.

Figured out the mounting situation, but do any of you happen to know the size of the fuel line for a 1995 klx250r, and or where to get it.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:31 AM
Default Tank fit

Hey everyone. Im having a hard time figuring out if my brackets are not bent correctly or I am just doing something wrong. I cant get the right side bracket to line up cause it is hitting the radiator outflow line. Any tips?

Bracket like instructions show

Bracket upside down

Old 05-10-2022, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I had to twist the bracket, you can see it in the third pic here https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...d=4#post444749

Old 05-10-2022, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by doum
I had to twist the bracket, you can see it in the third pic here https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...d=4#post444749
Outstanding! Great pictures thank you.