Acerbis Rally Pro handguards

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by spoof
Hey guys, I just put a set of KX high bends on my KLX too. I had to grind off the little nipple on the signal and starter switches that went in the hole drilled in the stock bars. Do you guys do the same or did you drill holes in the your new bars so there was a place for the little nipple? The only downside is they assemblys don't grip the new bars and now move around some. Not that big of a deal but I was curious what you guys did.

#2 - Next, I'm going to install some Acerbis hand guards, did you guys just drill through the end on the plastic throttle tube? Mine is closed on the end.
I think only the 09's had the nipple and the 08's and previous years did not. I have an '07 and when i changed to the KX high bends, no drilling required for me. I did not see any punch marks on the old bars. Haven't had any issues to date with any assemblies moving around on me.

Here's a snapshot of my KX high bends with the VPS barkbusters install.

Name:  1012101515.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  127.9 KB

Try torquing the nuts down a bit more or use some type of light bonding material maybe?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by spoof
Hey guys, I just put a set of KX high bends on my KLX too. I had to grind off the little nipple on the signal and starter switches that went in the hole drilled in the stock bars. Do you guys do the same or did you drill holes in the your new bars so there was a place for the little nipple? The only downside is they assemblys don't grip the new bars and now move around some. Not that big of a deal but I was curious what you guys did.

#2 - Next, I'm going to install some Acerbis hand guards, did you guys just drill through the end on the plastic throttle tube? Mine is closed on the end.
Don't drill holes in your new bars, cut the nipples off the control pods. Wrapping some cloth (hockey) tape on the bar where the contols go keeps them from turning when you snug up the screws. I drilled my throttle tube end.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 10-28-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

i leave my controls loose so when i smack, they move instead of bending/breaking...

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jxg
i leave my controls loose so when i smack, they move instead of bending/breaking...
Me, too. I used Cycra guards on Renthal bars, installed Vibranators and bar-end weights, too. Talk about "no vibrations"...the system takes up all the buzz... Very nice.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I have raced many many enduros and always choose the acerbis rally pros. I chose them again for the KLX along with CR high bend renthals because bent bars stink. Whatever hand guard you choose be sure they are mounted at the bar end AND on the inside and also be sure that they have a metal bar in them.

The 2009 had the little **** to align the controls on the bars. Do not drill the bars, they will break, instead cut off the **** and use electrical tape around the bars as needed to prevent the controls from spinning. You can do this nicely and the black color blends right in. One or two wraps.

You cut the end of both grips off and that includes the very end of the plastic throttle sleeve. I used a die grinder and just ground off the rubber/plastic.

The hardest part is installing the hand guards and routing the controls. The only thing I don't really like is how tight the brake line becomes when the front end is at fool droop. It's just a short brake line but is long enough to work. There are several ways to route the cables wrong and only one way to route the cables pretty well. No slam dunk.

I actually think the hand guards and new bars made the bike more stable at speed on the road. I am certainly happy about the finger/lever protection.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I installed the Acerbis Dual Sport Rally handguards with the blinkers integrated in them. The lights suck, as did the small flush mounted ones I put on the back fender. So I re-installed the stock ones. Now I have 8 turns...LOL But hey the stock ones are 10 times brighter than anything I have seen out there. And if that helps me be seen, then that's the important part.

Name:  P2014312.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  P2014323.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  P2014334.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  86.3 KB