Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !

ORIGINAL: matt2496

I think I'd prefer the Acrebis tank to the IMS from one I've read and seen. For one its green and not that ugly whitesh color that doesn't match anything else on the bike, it looks alot easier to install, and its bigger. But Cactus Jack brought up a good point, how do you get the fuel out of the lower sections of the tank. Maybe you're not supposed to, maybe it was designed to catch any sediment in the fuel, so in a way you could say the Acrebis tank filters the fuel.

The IMS tank comes in about a dozen colors. I'm assuming bmwhd and nobrakes chose the white so they can see the fuel level. They chose function over form so to speak.

What do you mean by getting the fuel out of the lower section? Are you talking about the last bit of gas at the very bottom? Those you can tilt the bike around but just with any tank, you are never going to get the last bit of drop out.
If you are implying that the bottom portion of the fuel tank is slightly lower than the carb, that is not a problem as gravity along with the vacuum will easily push the gas into the hose into the carb.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 AM

I'm talking about the front portion of the tank that drops below the petcock. For the sake of arguement lets say it holds 1/2 a gallon of gas on either side. With my deep knowledge of high school physics, gasoline does not travel uphill. Maybe you are right, vacuum may be the answer.

Now, to further complicate matters, how does the gas on the right get to the left?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cactus jack

I'm talking about the front portion of the tank that drops below the petcock. For the sake of arguement lets say it holds 1/2 a gallon of gas on either side. With my deep knowledge of high school physics, gasoline does not travel uphill. Maybe you are right, vacuum may be the answer.

Now, to further complicate matters, how does the gas on the right get to the left?
I have the IMS tank, not the Acerbis, but I would guess that just normal sloshing about gets the gas where it needs to be. I doubt you need to do this:

Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 AM

Brian, thanks for the response. I guess what you say makes the most sense. It better than anything I can come up with. I would like to try the up side down method, but I think it would be the last thing I tried.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM

I know you said its easy but lets hear the install procedure.

Jim

Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Nevermind, just throw away the directions and install is a can a corn. I had some confusion how I was going to use the original petcock. As a paperweight as it turns out.

Jim

Old 06-17-2006, 06:37 AM

Marty, did you solve the choke problem?

What about replacing the choke "rod" with a longer one and putting the pull handle on the other side of the rubber hose?

tim

Old 06-17-2006, 10:08 AM

Tim,

Thanks for your input. Actually I kind of inadvertantly solved the choke problem.

I went to a #40 pilot jet - choke? "We don't need no steekin' chokes!"

Living in a warm climate kind of takes away the need now.

However great minds think alike. I was going to do that, or shorten it. Shortening it might make a bit of sense. When something is made longer, it is also normally made more vulnerable!

Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Switching to the #40 pilot jet you really don't need the choke when its warm out. How hard is the choke lever to operate with the acerbis? Up here in PA its gets cold sometimes and I need to use the choke.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 PM

I can still work the choke as it is. The fuel line is soft enough to deflect and let you open the choke.

Quick Reply: Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !