Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Default Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !

I finally received my Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank. Got here right before I left for a rally up in Tennessee. I had posted a couple of quick pictures, but here is the KLX250S with the Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank installed.

Name:  AcerbisInstalled1.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  AcerbisInstalled2.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  AcerbisInstalled3.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  AcerbisInstalled1.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  126.8 KB

As I mentioned, the install is a piece of cake. Just follow the instructions that Acerbis provides. The Acerbis tank fits better than the stock tank and is easier to put on than the stock one is.

However, there is one small issue with the Acerbis tank, one that is a nit, but one that I will address in the next day or so.

The problem is simply this; with the Acerbis tank installed, there is little to no room to move the choke open. I don't see this as a problem since with the mods in place I really do not use the choke. However, I feel that all stock operations need to function so I will do that before I am satisfied. I want this to be a fully functional modification.

Here is the interference issue and what I'm up against.

Name:  ChokeInterference.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  98.7 KB

I might simply make the choke pull a size smaller. Perhaps a bend in the gas line is appropriate. I don't know at this time, I will look into it and come up with a way to make it 100% complete!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AcerbisInstalled1.jpg (126.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !

Nice! Does the bike feel top heavy with the additional weight of the gas?

Old 05-24-2006, 02:47 AM

matt2496,

Actually just the opposite is true!

The 'wings' actually hold a lot of the added fuel capacity and that is lower than the stock tank. The first time I took it out, the bike felt like it had been upgraded with "Power Steering"! I am finding out that I have to re-learn to ride the bike as it turns much quicker now than before the tank was installed.

Thanks for reminding me to report that fact!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

matt2496,

Actually just the opposite is true!

The 'wings' actually hold a lot of the added fuel capacity and that is lower than the stock tank. The first time I took it out, the bike felt like it had been upgraded with "Power Steering"! I am finding out that I have to re-learn to ride the bike as it turns much quicker now than before the tank was installed.

Thanks for reminding me to report that fact!

Wow I can't imagine the KLX being lighter steering than it is already!

Marty your bike looks great. The Acerbis tank and the Black Super Motard Beak looks really cool!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:53 AM

Pardon my ignorance, I am assuming the gas is gravity fed. How does the gas in the lower portion of the tank get to the petcock?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM

cactus jack,

No ignorance needed!

I can't answer that question. Perhaps it is there and if needed you have to tilt the bike to get the full 3.7 gallons.

Once I do a full test, I will let you know how much you can pull from the tank without having to do anything like that. I was going to do just that, but I had a 51 mile ride over a desolate stretch of roadway in the dark with fog - so I wimped out and filled it up with 100 miles on the odometer BEFORE I made the ride. Sorry about that.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Personally i dont like the side wings of that tank, i like the factory look better. What was the other tank that i saw somewhere, is it the ims tank? that just fits in the stock place, and the factory side panels just need a little trimming?

Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I'd prefer the Acrebis tank to the IMS from one I've read and seen. For one its green and not that ugly whitesh color that doesn't match anything else on the bike, it looks alot easier to install, and its bigger. But Cactus Jack brought up a good point, how do you get the fuel out of the lower sections of the tank. Maybe you're not supposed to, maybe it was designed to catch any sediment in the fuel, so in a way you could say the Acrebis tank filters the fuel.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
What was the other tank that i saw somewhere, is it the ims tank? that just fits in the stock place, and the factory side panels just need a little trimming?
That's the IMS 3.2 gallon tank. See my photo gallery for a few pictures. It does require a little work to install, but its not that bad.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt2496

I think I'd prefer the Acrebis tank to the IMS from one I've read and seen. For one its green and not that ugly whitesh color that doesn't match anything else on the bike, it looks alot easier to install, and its bigger.
That's just personal preference. I happen to like, even prefer, the natural translucent color of the IMS tank. BTW, the IMS tank comes in green and purple also, but I prefer the natural color. It also has the added benefit of being able to see the fuel level.

Quick Reply: Acerbis Installed - Piece of Cake !