Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by doum
It's hard to describre without a picture, I've installed the L bracket facing backward instead of downward and I've twist the end to bring it back under the tank. It help going around the radiator hose.
I understand what you're describing, and thanks for the tip. I haven't actually tried to install those brackets yet.

However, the bolts I'm talking about are the two center bolts, underneath the tank, above the valve cover, where the tank bolts directly to the frame. I did look at it again quickly last night: with the rear bolt in place, and the front contact pad firmly planted, the two center bolt holes do not line up - the holes in the tank are too far back.

I saw a post on ADVRider where Redpillar said he left the steel washer/grommets out of the rubber bushings - is that correct Redpillar? I'll do that if all else fails, but I'd prefer to leave them in if someone has another way. I'll hopefully have time to get back at it later this afternoon.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to do something different with these, but don't remember exactly. I think I found a longer bolt.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to remove one of the rubber cushions on one side on those post to get the bolt to align with the hole it was supposed to go into.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

O.K. I misunderstood which bolts you were talking about.
For those under I didn't have a problem but I remember reading that it may be about cable routing.
There could be a wire harness preventing the tank to go fully down in the frame.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis 3.7 Gallon Tank Installed on '09

Hooray! I got it done. Turned out to be pretty easy (now that I was able to do it with decent light and not sleep deprived). I was able to use all the stock tank mounting locations and hardware without modification or omission.

When I was having trouble, I had the bolt through the rear of the tank installed before any of the others - this was the root of the problem, apparently.

For me the key was to put the two sump bolts bolts in first; then some minor hand pressure on the tank was all that was needed to align the holes. Then I installed the rear bolt. Last were the brackets that bolt to the bottom of the tank shrouds; these required a fair bit of bending and twisting to get them to fit just right.

I also did the other obligatory mods to the choke, wiring, and plastics. I might rework the petcock and those bottom brackets in the future, but for now, everything looks like it will work.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to hear Lutz. Now that I think back on it, I needed a longer bolt because I also have rad guards on which were not easy to fit along with the Acerbis tank.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the first bolts to install are the center bolts and then the rear bolt. I removed the metal inserts in the grommets. After a few times on and off the tank re and re is a ten minute job. I also installed a quick disconnect on the fuel line to make it even easier.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fuel Lines

Sounds like the Acerbis petcock is not easy to work. Do you turn the fuel off when shutting down the bike?

Can someone describe the fuel outlets on the Acerbis tank? Or a picture?

It is my understanding that you can see the fuel level in the green tank enough that leaving it on reserve all the time is OK, anyone agree?

Why can the IMS tank use the stock petcock while the Acerbis needs a new one?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EZman250
Sounds like the Acerbis petcock is not easy to work. Do you turn the fuel off when shutting down the bike?

Can someone describe the fuel outlets on the Acerbis tank? Or a picture?

It is my understanding that you can see the fuel level in the green tank enough that leaving it on reserve all the time is OK, anyone agree?

Why can the IMS tank use the stock petcock while the Acerbis needs a new one?
My Acerbis petcock does not turn easily, but I'm used to it. No biggie. I try to always turn off the fuel supply on every bike when shutting down, and especially when transporting. There is risk that the carb needle valve sticks and fuel runs. At the least, this drain your tank all over the ground. Worse it could contaminate oil or even fill your cylinder (bad news). I can see the fuel level in my green tank fairly easily.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

When I first bought my bike one of my main concerns was the limited fuel range of the stock tank, but I just couldn't get past the looks of the acerbis. I thought the bike looked so much better with the stock shrouds and graphics...... but every time I hit reserve at only 90 miles the big shroudless tank looks better and better. Hell, now I think I even prefer the look over stock! maybe my lust for longer range adventure is just tricking my eyes ha
With the added bonus of radiator protection I don't think I can justify not buying it now. Just curious how the bike handles with a full tank? Do you guys feel the added fuel weight when your tearin up the trails?

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?