Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I beg to differ. The Acerbis tank is much tougher and offers far more radiator protection than the stock OEM shrouds.
Yup. I've tested mine a number of times!

Ron

Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews

To each his own. That's why we live in America. But, in my experience, the Acerbis is more prone to leaks at the cap area and the cross-over outlet.
Also the petcock o rings are subject to hardening from the ethenol mix gas.

Also for most tip overs it is the radiator that gets crushed in on the sides. The IMS connects the radiators to the tank via the stock shrouds. Better stability of the tank and radiators. Shrouds are cheap compared to radiators.
I have had both tanks on DRZ 400s, WR250-450's and now my 2009 KLX250S, over the past 10 years of riding 200-300 mile per day desert/Baja off road.
My choice is IMS. And it is designed and made in the U.S.A.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The Acerbis connects the shrouds of the acerbis tank to the frame of the bike, much more secure than the OEM plastic shroud bolted to the radiator.

Don't take this as being an *** to you, as I am being serious. You should start a thread and write a review about the IMS, seems your very fond of it and others may enjoy your review so they can compare the two.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I concur fully with landon and idrider and double r

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Visually the IMS is more appealing to the eye. But if you need the range the acerbis does carry more fuel, just takes some tipping of the bike to get to the last 1/2 gallon of fuel. If your prerunning the klx would not be the bike to take. No kick starter, weak power compared to just about everything out there/hard to pop up the front end over obsticles when geared for mileage, requires suspension upgrades for true off road realities. Your better off starting off with a honda crf450x

Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I really like NOT having the radiator shrouds with the acerbis - less stuff to have to take off put on.

I don't know what spark plug access is like with the IMS, but I put a new one in mine yesterday (gave the KLX a "KLX spa day" after 10k km thru SE Asia) and we couldn't get at it with the tank in the way. The mechanic groaned something about not being able to get the old spark plug out without removing the tank.
"No problem" I said and in about 20 seconds had the tank loose and it pivoted up about 6" (as far as my fuel line would let me) making it really easy. (I did already have a 8mm T wrench in my hand for those of you questioning my 20 second time ).

Some might think the shrouds look better but personally I like my bike as ugly on the outside/clean on the inside to protect it from getting stolen!
On that note, I got robbed with a sword yesterday! (Not relevant to the Acerbis review but just needed to share with someone! ). Was at the pharmacy getting cough syrup when a guy walks in with a limp, his helmet on and face shield down. He then proceeds to pull a sword out of his pant leg, hold it to my neck while he robbed the till. Got my helmet too - rode home 1/2 GATT! Thankful he missed my ugly bike with no stickers or radiator shrouds as he rode away on a scooter.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis

The Acerbis is the best thing I ever did to my 2007. Over 220 miles range on dirt roads with gas to spare, only maintenance issue was bolts that got loose, my fault for not putting on the threadlock. I put on the fuel pump mod but the pump was over-pressurizing my carb and I took it off. I was gong to work out a return line to vent the excess pressure back but I haven't gotten around to it. Plenty of gas for everything I do and not much trouble to tip it the one time I needed to. Can't speak for everyone but I love the look of the Acerbis and have had zero maintenance problems in four years.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally getting around to installing my black 3.7 gallon acerbis on my '09 KLX250S.

I'm having trouble installing the front bolts under the tank (the front two bolts that are used for the stock tank). It seems that the threaded holes in the acerbis tank too far back, by about 1/2 to 3/4 the diameter of the hole. I didn't have much time to look at it, but I've moved both wiring harness connectors down, and the rear bolt hole is bolted up. It might just be some interference in the front of the tank (didn't have a good light or much time to verify).

I'll get back to it sometime tomorrow. But if anyone else has actually had this issue, let me know what you did.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

It's hard to describre without a picture, I've installed the L bracket facing backward instead of downward and I've twist the end to bring it back under the tank. It help going around the radiator hose.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

"I got robbed with a sword yesterday! (Not relevant to the Acerbis review but just needed to share with someone!"

WTF is this world coming to. To bad you didn't pull and Indiana Jones on the guy.

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?