Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009+ Acerbis Install Photos gsnorcal

This may also help ya'll with 2009+ bikes. It was a link I found on justgastanks but I don't think it's there any longer. It's quite a gallery of pics with some descriptions.

http://gsnorcal.smugmug.com/gallery/5326416_wmUMY#!i=325389480&k=MEAFG

Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I removed the inlet tubes tubes from the petcock on my Acerbis tank. I have no need for "reserve" since I can see the level of the gas through the side of the tank.

Ron

Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
I removed the inlet tubes tubes from the petcock on my Acerbis tank. I have no need for "reserve" since I can see the level of the gas through the side of the tank.

Ron
You know...this is probably true. Once you get to know your bike's performance as it relates to fuel mileage in a given set of conditions, you can pretty much just watch the odometer on super long rides. I've considered doing just what you did, as I have more of a fear of stalling out on a really long, sketchy, technical climb just as my fuel level hits that reserve tube. I can see my fuel level, and I can see my odometer, and I can pretty much project how much farther I can go at any given time. I'm fairly amazed at how predictable my bike's fuel mileage is under a variety of conditions. Of course, I also realize that my petcock and standpipes are probably going to have plenty of fuel during a climb, but on a long epic ride in CO or UT, that niggling thought always enters my mind. If I weren't such a lazy jerk, I might just put my petcock lever on reserve to start with and forget about it. But as a lazy jerk, I just hate turning that petcock an extra 1/4 turn every time during first start-up for the day.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a good link, but i've heard a few things about having to remove the rad fan. They didn't mention anything about removing the fan. Does the fan still need to be moved on an 09

Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

No you do not have to move the fan on an 09,

Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

So my next question, this tank hold .7 more than the IMS and is 45 bucks cheaper. The install looks simple. The looks aren't so great, but 45 bucks and the extra fuel add up to make it tolerable. Is it possible to get the fuel out. I've heard rumors of having to tip the bike etc... What's everyones experiences as far as 09 goes.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by treerat
So my next question, this tank hold .7 more than the IMS and is 45 bucks cheaper. The install looks simple. The looks aren't so great, but 45 bucks and the extra fuel add up to make it tolerable. Is it possible to get the fuel out. I've heard rumors of having to tip the bike etc... What's everyones experiences as far as 09 goes.
Kind of depends on how you ride on emptying the fuel out. Flat road work where the fuel is not sloshing is less effective. Trail riding where the fuel sloshes around will get to more of it. One member here discussed putting "siphon" hose(s) on the tank-side end of the petcock, weighted so that they hung down to the low part of the tank (similar to chain saw or snowmobile fuel line). RP and others have installed fuel pump. See some threads in this post that I made in the FAQs. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...33/#post462072

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Ricky:
Good review. I've only ran out and needed reserve once. It started up fairly easy for me after the switch. I have a little clear fuel filter between the petcock and tank and looked there to see fuel moving though after turning petcock to reserve. Once fuel quit moving (carb bowl full), I hit the starter and it may have taken a few seconds before it fired. My petcock is difficult to turn (is there something that can be done to improve this? can it be lubed or something) and I can't get my had under there while moving to switch 180 degrees from on to reserve.

They do make clear or translucent fuel lines, but these are often a specialty item and not generally stocked in the auto or m/c shops that I frequent. I like using them on the snowmobile to see if fuel is moving through as sometimes ice will form in the line, blocking flow. Pull the rope all day long and she won't fire up! I think you have it right and the line provided with the Acerbis tank is for the fuel cap vent, not fuel line.
Mine is pretty tough as well - I shot WD40 in there but it didn't make too big of a difference. It seems to be a bit easier now but I don't know if that is me getting used to it or it gets easier as you turn it.
Either way I take turning it seriously as it is hard enough I fear I may break something. With the stock petcock I could do that while riding - I probably will be able to do this while riding with some more practice.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis 3.7 Tank Reviews?

In my opinion the Acerbis supplied petcock does not turn as well as the std. KLX250S OEM part. Could be the Acerbis part is not made as well as the OEM and binds up when used after awhile. Ethenol mix gas??? Try taking it apart and cleaning and then reassemble using silicone spray to lube the o-rings. I personally like the IMS 3.4 gal tank that uses the std. Radiator shrouds and OEM petcock. Price is around $270.00 at various U.S supply places. Comparable to the Acerbis price, but uses the OEM shrouds for better radiator support in a fall. I have gone 175 miles before reserve so far on the IMS. My 2009 KLX 250S has a jet kit and a 122 main jet, FMF "Q" slip on SA muffler. Stock except for removing the airbox cover and enlarging the engine breather hole in the airbox to 7/16ths in. I also use Motion Pro grey fuel lines. I think they are nitrile based and are not effected by the "New" Ethenol fuel mix we now get in our pump gas. Try these they work great after 3000 miles of So Cal desert riding.
Also an oz or two of Lucas Fuel treatment helps clean out the ethenol crud in the carb and petcock as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
<snip>
Comparable to the Acerbis price, but uses the OEM shrouds for better radiator support in a fall.
<snip>
I beg to differ. The Acerbis tank is much tougher and offers far more radiator protection than the stock OEM shrouds.

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?