Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Ricky - you should enjoy the tank.

I don't recall anyone rerouting wire harness with 06-08 bikes. I had to press down on mine a bit to get holes to align, and will be looking closely at those wires in the future as should just be done.

The extra lines on the stock tank have to do with emissions and/or venting. Don't worry about them.

The locking cap for the Acerbis vents IN (allows air into the tank), but I'm not so sure it vents out as my tank will build some significant positive pressure. Other riders have told me that's normal with their bike (different bike/tank) and not to worry about it. So that's what I'm doing. (Others please chime in if we're wrong here.)

I only had to go into serious reserve once riding on the road. After reserve ran out, I applied several good "shakes" and put on miles before doing a good "tip" and finishing about 10 miles to the fuel station. In total, I put on about 35 highway miles from point reserve was turned on to the fuel station. There was still fuel left as I filled with about 3.2 gallons.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I finally got my acerbis installed, but have a question. What do I need to do with the gas cap? I didn't upgrade to the locking one, so mine just screws in and then looks like you are supposed to maybe hook a vent hose to it? It that necessary or can I just run it without any vent hose?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

You should have got a vent hose with the cap/tank (I did) and I think you want to use it. I'm not positive why, but I think that is where the tank vents in, and you don't want dirt to plug that hole or vent into the tank. That's probably why those vent hoses are often U shaped and are tucked back down in front of the tank, or there is a shorter vent hose with a little cap on the end.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a piece of hose put it looks more like fuel line hose thats maybe 9 inches long. Should I have gotten another hose thats the vent? If so I did not. I definately need one as I took it out for a ride without it and fuel spills out the vent in the cap.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
I got a piece of hose put it looks more like fuel line hose thats maybe 9 inches long. Should I have gotten another hose thats the vent? If so I did not. I definately need one as I took it out for a ride without it and fuel spills out the vent in the cap.
I think that 9" is the one.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
The locking cap for the Acerbis vents IN (allows air into the tank), but I'm not so sure it vents out as my tank will build some significant positive pressure. Other riders have told me that's normal with their bike (different bike/tank) and not to worry about it. So that's what I'm doing. (Others please chime in if we're wrong here.)
When the pressure builds up inside a plastic tank it can end up looking like a beach ball. I'd strongly suggest a 2 way valve.

Ron

Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an IMS on my 2009 KLX250S. It went right on and looks great with the stock shrouds. Range is over 180 Mi easy riding. For really long rides between gas stops (over 200 mi) Wear a cheap school boy back pack with a gal anti freeze jug full of gas. Put the gal. of gas from the jug in after 50-60 miles. Just did a round Death Valley and went 190 with out filling up.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I got a 9" clear hose with the tank hardware and Tom @ justgastanks said that was the fuel line. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's wrong, there was no fuel line that came with it and said clear, 9" tube was the vent hose for the cap that came with it.

I just used the old fuel line to connect it to the carb and kept some extra for if that goes out before I get back home which is only 3,000 km away now!
(It was a couple of local shops in Thailand that said they didn't think the clear hose qualified as tank to carb fuel hose.)

A few thoughts after running a few tank full thru:

1. I love the extra range!! Though I haven't got my jetting sorted yet (need to wait to get some jets before trying; none to be found in Myanamar/Burma/Laos) I'm now looking for fuel after 210 km as oppossed to 80 km.

2. I had a tip over the other day and it seemed to do a good job protecting the radiator. Granted I've had tip overs with the stock tank I though would have broken the radiator but I really like the extra 2 mounting points. The stock tank has 3 and the acerbis 5. The extra 2 are L shaped braces to the frame that go into the tank holding it away from the radiator. I haven't had good luck in the past with bolts going into plugs seated in plastic as it has but a. this could be better and b. if it did fail you still have the same 3 mounting points the stock tank has and you could rig something else up to hold the tank to to the L bracket.

3. It is slightly wider at the knees but not much. That it is a negative for me but very slight.

4. I like not having to use the stock shrouds. I now have "extra" 6mm bolts with 8mm heads which were almost impossible to find in Malaysia. I personally don't care what it looks like but certainly mine now looks better as my stock shrouds were duct taped.

5. Biggest negative but still not a big deal. I run out of gas all the time and just switch to reserve. I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm finding it very hard for the bike to switch to reserve. With the stock tank, when the bike started to stutter I could switch in motion and the stuttering might continue for a few seconds and then would come back to even life. With the Acerbis there has been no luck of having it continue to run if switching in motion. It dies, I park it, I give it gas and both times so far I've spent at least 5 minutes trying to get it to start again.
It's mostly worried me that my battery will be able to handle it reminding me I really want that kickstarter!

Any thoughts on getting it going quicker would be appreciated. (Does giving it throttle with the ignition off ((to save the battery)) help get the juices going again? Taking the cap off?) Until then I will do the practical thing and just try to not run out so much.

6. It doesn't seem to be quite as consistant with reserve. One time after switching I made it 21 km no problems. (Middle of the night, hostile area along the Burma/Thai border so I was going very easy hoping to not run out again). A 2nd time I switched, got it going and it died/ran out of gas after 7km.

I've also filled up in city areas several times within less than 1km of running out of the main tank and found several different #'s as to how many liters to fill. That of course could be inaccurate gas pumps over here though.

Don't read to much into those last things - I love the tank!!

Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Ricky:
Good review. I've only ran out and needed reserve once. It started up fairly easy for me after the switch. I have a little clear fuel filter between the petcock and tank and looked there to see fuel moving though after turning petcock to reserve. Once fuel quit moving (carb bowl full), I hit the starter and it may have taken a few seconds before it fired. My petcock is difficult to turn (is there something that can be done to improve this? can it be lubed or something) and I can't get my had under there while moving to switch 180 degrees from on to reserve.

They do make clear or translucent fuel lines, but these are often a specialty item and not generally stocked in the auto or m/c shops that I frequent. I like using them on the snowmobile to see if fuel is moving through as sometimes ice will form in the line, blocking flow. Pull the rope all day long and she won't fire up! I think you have it right and the line provided with the Acerbis tank is for the fuel cap vent, not fuel line.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
They do make clear or translucent fuel lines, but these are often a specialty item and not generally stocked in the auto or m/c shops that I frequent.
You might check you local auto parts store agian, I found it there. It was not out on the shelf with the other supplies, I had to ask the guy at the desk and it was behind the desk. The stuff I got had a yellow tent to it, but you can still see the fuel run through it. I think tractor supply has it also in clear.

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?