Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice, good ideas all around.

That linked thread about talked about the IMS needing to redirect wires, move fan and get a longer throttle cable, can anyone attest to this more than a year later? I'm sure the design is still the same :/

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an 09 and the Acerbis tank is great.!!!!
No its not a 100% direct bolt on, but its not bad, you just have to trim about an inch off the tip of the side plastics. That and unclip a small wire harness and move it just a bit. Not a big deal at all.
I bent my choke stem just a bit forward and it clears just fine now, I can pull it all the way out.
I would highly recommend doing this mod to the tank...
Klx 250/300 Acerbis tank How to get all the fuel out of it mod - ADVrider
you loose the reserve, but you can easily see how much fuel you have in the tank, so thats not a big deal.
You split the fuel inline inside the tank so it runs down in each side of the tanks "wings" which is a much lower point than the stock petcock, this lets you use every bit of fuel.
You also have to add a vaccum operated fuel pump so the engine can pull that fuel out of that low point.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

For those of us with the older body style - 2007, does the acerbis tank bolt right up?

Any chance they make a locking gas cap that you have the option to not lock?

What's a good price and good place to look for them at? Thanks!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Fits the '06 & '07 nicely. A little interference with the choke **** that is easily remedied.
Locking cap available (I have one).
Justgastanks.com

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got a black Acerbis 3.7 gal tank sitting in the garage waiting to go on my bike. I chose it because it is cheaper than the IMS tank, holds more fuel (important for me), and adds a measure of radiator protection at no cost.

I was a little disappointed in the finish of the tank though, but not disappointed enough to consider not using it, mind you. Mainly that the parting lines are not smooth...there's a fair offset at each seam.

Anyone else notice the rough parting lines? I think I read about it elsewhere at some point. Also, are the green tanks 'smooth'? My black tank has sort of a 'crinkle' surface texture.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Lutz, could you take of pic of the issue? I'm not clear on what "parting lines" are. I'm not looking at mine now, but I'm not familiar with any krinkle finish. Maybe it's krinkle surface underneath or such.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Lutz, could you take of pic of the issue? I'm not clear on what "parting lines" are. I'm not looking at mine now, but I'm not familiar with any krinkle finish. Maybe it's krinkle surface underneath or such.
I'll take pics when I get a chance, might not be for a few days. Remember, I'm talking about the black version, which so far I haven't seen anyone else here using.
Re: Parting lines. I'm referring to the lines where the mold pieces come together, aka parting lines. It seems there is was a fair amount of misalignment at the parting lines, leaving a lip at the seam. There was obviously some fairly crude use of a razor knife to clean the flashing from the seams, too.
Re: Finish. The entire surface of the tank has a somewhat rough finish somewhat like the sides of an Igloo cooler, as opposed to smooth like OEM plastics.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

You should be able to sand it down with some fine grit. Even if its 1/16 or 1/8 off which I doubt, I'm sure it's 1/4 thick all around.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Just installed the Acerbis on my 08. (US 07 body style).

It was a straight fit with no choke problems or wiring harness problems. I'm guessing the reason I had no choke problems is the mikuni 33 pumper must be different.
As to where it sits on the wiring harness when I tried to line up the bolts I found that because of the wires sitting under the tank the hole on the tank was about 1.5 mm too high to line up. I solved that by pressing down on the tank and lining up the holes. Didn't take lots of pressure.
However reading that some of you rerouted the wires I'm wondering if I did a bad thing by pushing down on the tank to line up the bolt holes? Will I wear thru those wires. I probably had to press down with 5 lbs of pressure to make it work (almost nothing) but I'm a dummy; maybe it shouldn't even be touching those wires? Am I good.

Also, what's up with 4 fuel lines coming out of the stock tank and only 1 coming out of the acerbis?

I also bought a locking gas cap which looks more like the stock - when I use that do I need some sort of venting?

I noticed my knees being about an inch farther apart while squeezing the tank but it's not really a big deal.

I run out of gas all the time so am pretty excited about having
1. Main tank
2. Reserve
3. The tip/shake the bike/little bit extra reserve. Every mile you go after running out of gas is 2 miles you don't have to walk to get gas and bring it back

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?