Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?

Hello everyone. Just bought an 09 KLX 250 and about to do basic ADV mods.

Is this Acerbis 3.7 the biggest tank for our bikes?
Besides choke blockage, is it a bolt on 123 fitment?
And any word on Acerbis making a tank for us?

I don't mind the gap in the seat area, but that's like an extra .1 gallons to be had!

And what's typical MPG single to double track? I'm guessing around 50-60? I'm trying to calculate how much of a PITA I will be to my friend and his 5 gallon KLR 650.

Input on all other tanks welcome. Input on anything welcome!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I missed a gas tank thread in my search, and read that wiring harness needs to be messed with.

I am pretty sure I will get the 3.7 unless theres a bigger one out there!

Plus I love shroudless tanks, they allow you to recline with your legs over the shrouds on long stretches of highway! Though nothing beats the look of oem shrouds on a natural tank IMO.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It's the biggest one that I'm aware of with a "direct fit." You could also strap a couple 1.5L Primus or MSR cans on. A riding buddy straps a 1-gallon oil jug filled with gas on his front fender (careful on the big bumps!). Also saw a Kolpin attached around here somewhere.

Based on past mpg, I can get about 175 +/- 20 miles out of my 3.7-gallon Acerbis with a pint or so to spare on single track (about 45 to 55 mpg), depending on conditions and urgency

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-29-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

just cut the side panels a bit to make it fit, other than that yes it bolts right up. here the thing though, ive got the acerbis 3.7 and the ims 3, and the both hit reserve at the same time, so to get the extra .7 or so, you have to tip the bike.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm so either tell all the bigger bikes you have to pull over to tip the bike, or tell all the bigger bikes you have to pull over to pour in .7 of gas from a bottle... I think I'd rather do the IMS. But .7 maybe the distance an IMS is left stranded w o gas

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ive riden a lot of terrain, and the 180 or so miles you get out of the ims is plenty unless your by yourself lost in the middle of the desert, and at that point i think you have bigger problems then gas. even in death valley, i think theres one route in the whole park that would require more than 180 miles worth of gas. personally, if you need that much gas, get the acerbis plus the bake 1.1 gallon aux. tank, get your self lost in the desert and come back with some bad @$$ ride report.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

unfortunately, Bake doesn't offer the 1.1 aux any longer

Lost is relative.

There are a couple mostly-dirt routes across Idaho. Great little rides I'd like to do in the next year or two. Kind of one of those bucket list things. The long one is only 1370 miles one way and fuel availability is over 200 miles for some legs. Big tanks required.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd like the IMS and a sigg widemouth 1.5 liter or two. That would be 3.7 if I could mount the gas cans somewhere.

Its kind of stupid, but my biggest concern over getting stranded without gas is making the bigger bikes stop for gas every 150, but I guess everyone needs a break from riding.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a 1 gallon RotoPax strapped to my Nomadic Rack. Another option with or without a larger tank.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...44/#post417602

Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Consider a fuel bladder. I borrowed a 6L one recently for a multi-day trip. Loved it. So versatile. You could strap it to a rack or I tried strapping it to the back of the Giant Loop.

However I found it best just to throw in a really good quality backpack and empty into tank as soon as possible. Plus;

- Can be used on different bikes.
- Expensive, but half the cost of a aftermarket tank.
- Once empty it is rolled up to nothing.
- Many different ways to mount or carry.

Quick Reply: Acerbis 3.7 tank reviews?