Accessorizing the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Accessorizing the KLX

Well its not much but its a start, I'm waiting on FedEx to bring my new grips but until then I did throw this widget on.

It's a $10 bike pump from Walmart and it came with the mounting bracket and straps. The pump clips into the bracket and then has a velcro strap holding it in. The straps that came with it are like plastic hose clamps and feel relatively secure but just the same I used another velcro strap to strap them to the crossbar. Where its mounted it doesn't interfere with anything, can't be seen very readily unless you are looking for it and I can keep an eye on it, instead of maybe losing it off the back. Also picked up a $0.97 pressure gauge which happens to fit in the black tool pouch with the tools, small tie down strap and my kick stand block.

While I was typing the above the FedEx man arrived with my ProGrip 714s in black and my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket to go with the Alter Ego pants I got last week.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Accessorizing the KLX

If I had to describe the ProGrips in one word it would have to be........................squirshy . They aren't too thick but the wiffle ball effect they have seems like they will be very comfy for longer distances.

Just took a short ride. While the grips are comfy my right thumb still insists on getting tingly and numb, I guess I just have to face it and deal with it.

Going OT for a minute, I highly recommend the Alter Ego line of riding gear, well padded and there's no temperature that it can't handle due to the convertible nature of the pants and coat.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

The pump is fine however having had 2 flats in the bush and using a pump the first time then using CO2 bottles the 2nd time I can tell you which I will carry from now on. The pump took about 30 mins of sweating (yes it was summer) the CO2 took about 1 min. Yep they cost money whereas the pump is free to use (after purchase).
Please don't think I'm having a go at you Bryan, I'm not, I'm just reminding people of another other choice

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

The pump is fine however having had 2 flats in the bush and using a pump the first time then using CO2 bottles the 2nd time I can tell you which I will carry from now on. The pump took about 30 mins of sweating (yes it was summer) the CO2 took about 1 min. Yep they cost money whereas the pump is free to use (after purchase).
Please don't think I'm having a go at you Bryan, I'm not, I'm just reminding people of another other choice

Mav,

But here in the 'States, it is required that dualsport riders be of a much tougher lot of individuals! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

[sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't going for flat protection so much as I was going for adjustable air pressure without either running hard tires in dirt or soft tires on the road, and I don't have any extra storage mounted just yet.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No we are usually more out of shape here in the good old USA so we need the conveniences of CO2 LOL

Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Also, another reminder - this bike is so fun off-road its sometimes easy to forget it has some nice road-bike conveniences. I.e., BATTERY. So another option is a 12V compressor tire pump. They make these pretty darn small.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

That was another option I looked at, also $10 at Walmart and just about the size of our stock storage pouch but it required a 12volt 15 amp power supply and from my post about accessory lights that is far more strain than our electrical system could handle so I went for the manual approach, not to mention nowhere to store it securely. I'm debating on a Pelican case but I fear I'd probably get my foot snagged while trying to get on.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Since it won't be used all the time it's OK. Even if it drains the battery down during use, the charger will charge the battery back up when you shut it off and remove the load. That wet-cell can handle 15 amps just fine. And the magneto will recharge it once the pumping is finished. What you can't do is draw that much current continously, for example, by powering your heated grips, heated vest, coffee pot (Deej), etc.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

That was another option I looked at, also $10 at Walmart and just about the size of our stock storage pouch but it required a 12volt 15 amp power supply and from my post about accessory lights that is far more strain than our electrical system could handle so I went for the manual approach, not to mention nowhere to store it securely. I'm debating on a Pelican case but I fear I'd probably get my foot snagged while trying to get on.

I finally figured out how to explain how I get on my bike. Although I never have been on a horse, its exactly like getting on one. put your left foot on the left peg, stand up and swing the right leg and sit down, the bike will actually sit up straight and your there. I can swing my leg over the pelican case, but about half of the time I get stuck LOL

Or you could try this hahahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: Accessorizing the KLX