96dB

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation 96dB

The off-road clubs around here allow a max of 96db. Does anyone know if this bike would pass

2009 KLX250S
FMF Powercore 4 slip on
Stage 2 dynojet
Snorkel removed
No other mods

Last edited by pviveen; 11-07-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are not way over, they will probably let you ride the event. Power core probably isn't going to be the best bet for quiet, but you won't know until you check it somewhere. Contact one of those clubs, and see if they will check it before hand. They are usually open to helping a guy get straightened out before an event.
Dan

Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Would not count on passing with a power core. The last organized ride I was on they were not showing any mercy. Loud is bad. Even Q4s in need of a repack were not allowed, unless they could do something to quiet them. A few guys used a foot of old inner tube zip tied over the end of the muffler. Worked for the two strokes but the four strokes burned them off after 30 miles. The off road community needs to embrace quiet if we are going to keep our trails.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah mine is way too loud. They have an insert but I may just get a Q.

"Loud pipes
Kill trails"

Stick that on your **** Harley helmet.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone tried the quiet insert. Is there much of a power reduction? I read it reduces the noise by about 3dB

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got my hands on a sound meter and the proper SAE test standard, I will keep you posted on the results.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about the powercore, but everyone on here claims the Muzzy is excessively loud. I had mine checked with the Muzzy with the quiet core and it was 92 db.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I don't know about the powercore, but everyone on here claims the Muzzy is excessively loud. I had mine checked with the Muzzy with the quiet core and it was 92 db.
Did you notice any change in performance?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Good lord, I know my old Husky wouldn't pass on any public trail. Thankfully, I have famlly and friends with plenty of acreage. Is there any kind of exclusion from the db police if your bike is over 30 years old?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Yeah, this Muzzy story has been around for awhile. If you have one of the original Muzzy's with the normal can, they are loud. I've seen two generation Muzzy's since that first one, an oval can and another round one. They are both reasonably quiet and will pass an enduro db test with no issue. I have the later round can version on my 250/300S, and it is not obnoxious at all IMO and according to the race sanctioning bodies. We put on a state circuit enduro every year on the club ranch property we are on and have a db test required. I ran mine through a couple of years ago just for grins...we work the enduro, not ride it as a club member...and it passed easily. I can't remember the numbers then, but it was easily under the limit. I'm sure Al Gore would hate it and all aftermarket exhausts, but I don't have to please that jerk.