80mile Renazco seat review/K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 80mile Renazco seat review/K&N filter

I remember somebody asking me to report the results of a longer rideonmy new Renazco seat, so away we go. Today was a balmy 45F with sunny skies that quickly became overcast. I covered the first 80miles of the ride non-stop -all in the name of a good review- and am happy to report nomajor issueswith discomfort.For the sake of trying to relate how it felt, I'll probably be supplying a bit too much information for some, but**(no pun intended) here goes.

On the stock seat, mygroin area would have beeneither in extreme pain or totally numb byabout the 50-60milepoint(sometimes much earlier than that). The Renazco is a bit firmer than stock, but not brick hard likemy previous aftermarket seat. TheRenazco is compliant, butdistributes the support of yourglutes way more effectively. The compression is such thatyou will feel the bumps just a bit more than the stock unit though. About theonly thing I felt that could be related even remotely to discomfort was a bit of... err..what wouldyou call it...'bun compression' after about the 2 hour mark (yep, it took me over 2 hours to cover 80 miles), but I get that even if I'm sitting in the bucket seat of my car forthat long. The marine grade vinyl cover is not too sticky and not too slippery...just about right for me. If you want to stay planted just a slight squeeze of your legs will do.

Here is how the sides of the roads looked. Imust now take a moment to pay homage to the great god of heated grips and all season riding gear! I felt a slight chill near the end of the trip (nearly 4hrs and 100miles covered), but my Belstaff Mecury Jacket and Stormrider pants did a bang-up job of protecting me from the elements. A heated vest would have beentrue nirvana.

Yeah, you got it, more of the white stuff. Plenty of run-off coming across the roads as well.

I posted this pic just for Finger Mullet and other true blue K&N fans. I used this baby K&N to complete my oil catch tank installation.The kitcame complete with a clamp and enough oil to completely oil a full sizedairbox style K&N,so I used only about 1/8 of the container. It was a pitythe containerwas one of those snip-n-use types...had to throw the excess away due to no suitable containers being immediately available..oh well.

Well that's about it, folks! Today's ride was very encouraging when I think of the longer trips I will make this summer. If any of youcover anywhere near the road miles I log, you may want to consider sending a seat pan to James Renazco, so he can work his magic.Mylong and ratherexpensive search for a good seat for this bike has finally ended.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 80mile Renazco seat review..K&N filter

I accidentally posted the above message before I was done writing it, then the forum was REALLY slow to load, so I couldn't correct it for a good while.

I edited and included the rest of the information, sowith that I'm bumping it back up!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Dean, nice write up on the seat, oh and everytime I see your bike I like it even more. I can definitely see the appeal. I usually don't like bikes like ours that are set up that way, but your bike looks right. Its just does. The tires fit the spaces, the rack is cool and the bag is a perfect compliment to the overall look. And that pipe, very nice. Am I in your will to receive the bike, should something happen to you?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

That bike will get buried with me if I have my way!...J/kThanks for the props. The looks kind of grew on me as time went by...kind of like one of my friend's BMW R1150R, you have to look at it more than 10 times over about a 10 week period to start liking it

OBTW, the new UFO front fender has perfect coverage without having to add fender extenders. No sprayis getting onthe frame, headlight nor on my hemet and the front of my jacketlike it did with the stockeras well asthat motard one I had for awhile.

Hey, is that a new picture in your sig?! The Mr Clean layer adds a nice touch! I like it!

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Dean, nice write up on the seat, oh and everytime I see your bike I like it even more. I can definitely see the appeal. I usually don't like bikes like ours that are set up that way, but your bike looks right. Its just does. The tires fit the spaces, the rack is cool and the bag is a perfect compliment to the overall look. And that pipe, very nice. Am I in your will to receive the bike, should something happen to you?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

nice write up... i think i'll be ordering a new seat tward the end of the summer. that is of course after i order the 300 kit, hehe looks like a really nice ride. Whats the oil catch canister do? is that like so if your bike is on its side it doesnt leak oil into the air box?

did a 40+ mile ride today and got TOTALY lost out in the middle of no where, wish i had that seat today... ended up in cow country when i was all done. i love it when that happens!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

nice write up... i think i'll be ordering a new seat tward the end of the summer. that is of course after i order the 300 kit, hehe looks like a really nice ride. Whats the oil catch canister do? is that like so if your bike is on its side it doesnt leak oil into the air box?

did a 40+ mile ride today and got TOTALY lost out in the middle of no where, wish i had that seat today... ended up in cow country when i was all done. i love it when that happens!
LOL! You must have felt kind of like I did while looking for an open gas station on Sunday, in Japan, in not-so-familiar haunts. Ithought I might have been close to hitting reserve with the 300kit and stage 1 cams, but, as it turn out, it took less than a gallon to fill it up. I was going pretty easy on it, but covering 80miles with less than a gallon was pretty suprising to say the least.

Yeah, you've got the right idea about the catch tank, as in the oil will normally run into it instead of into the engine intake or front of the airbox, but inmy case it just prevents the oil from spilling onto the ground if you take a tumble.Thiscatch tankwas actually the result of a chain reaction. Iordered a K&N style filter (made by BMC) which mounts directly to my Yoshimura pumper carb.When I tried toinstall the filter, I found that there is not enough room between the frame of the bike and the front of the air boxto even get the filter in position to install. At that point, I knew I would haveto pull the front of the airbox and install some sort of plate in it's place or buy the catch tank kit, which mounts where the front of the airbox used to be, but takes upway lessspace.I could have just ran thebreather hose directly to a small filter mounted up highsomewhere, but the catch tankmounts ina muchcleaner fashion and gives the oil somewhere to spill into. Normally, the topnipple on the catch tank runsinto the intake for re-burn of the crankcase fumes, but there isnowhere to hook it to on the new filter, so Ijust installed that small filterinto it instead.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm withdeej the bike looks better every time you post a picture of it.
Ive been having trouble with this site for over three weeks now, some times it wont load at all or it's very slow.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redbrd
I'm with deej the bike looks better every time you post a picture of it.
Yup....I want some black plastic.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The black does look good.

So the seat does its job and kept you comfey on the trip. Looks like I need to start saving. More than 90% of the time, I drive on the pavement, and usually for more than 30-60 miles ata time. The KLX seat does it fair share of trying to tell me to get off already.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL! Yeah, the stock KLXseat feels really good when you first sit down...but after the first 20 miles or so...[:@]
That foam is so squishy it'slike staddling around sofa bolster. No such thing asdistrubuting the pressure evenly on that thing...more like it re-directs thepressure from your glutes directly into your crotch...ouwwwww!

Yeah, If you regularly do that many pavement miles, you will definitelyget your money's worthfrom the Renazco.

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

The black does look good.

So the seat does its job and kept you comfey on the trip. Looks like I need to start saving. More than 90% of the time, I drive on the pavement, and usually for more than 30-60 miles ata time. The KLX seat does it fair share of trying to tell me to get off already.