606 ON BABY!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 606 ON BABY!!

FINALLY!

Looks good Deej. I put a rim lock on the rear, but I had trouble with the front. I bought the smallest rim lock and it just seemed to bulge way too much (I should've taken a picture). Anyway, I have one on the rear and I run at 18-20 PSI and 22 on the front. I do notice a slight thumping at highway speeds, but it's a thumper.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I got rim locks also but have not yet installed them - they came after my tires and I've not taken the time to install them yet. BTW, the sizes you need are stamped on the rims. Front is 1.65 I think and the rear is 1.85. I'm going by memory so double check me before making any purchases.

Regarding the thumping - try adding spoke weights to the opposite side to balance it out.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 AM

My experience with spinning the tire on the rim wasn't caused by acceleration but by how hard you hit the brakes. Your brakes stop the wheel, but the ground is what makes the tire slip on the rim.

And unless you are doing stoppies, you don't really need one on the front.

Another good idea is to take off the nut on the valve stem once you get it all set up a seated. So if your tire does spin, you lessen the chance of ripping the valve stem off the inner tube.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

A side note on the 606, With the fact that it is at least 1 inch taller than the 603, and the fact that my knobbies were worn off an inch, the bike is 2 inches taller now and I can barely touch both feet flat on the ground. Reminds me of when I first got the bike, and I love it. The Kenda tire is an inch shorter than the 606 so I am already thinking that the 606 will be my choice of tire from here on out. We'll see. To be fare and because I already bought the set of kenda's I will try them out when the 606 wears out. I took it on a 40 mile gravel ride today, and the 606 really pulled hard on the gravel, I am already impressed. Now if my bike shop would call and tell me that my muzzy is in and to bring the bike in (an hour away) I told him that I would not bring in the bike unless he could guarantee that I could get all of the work, which includes the valve check, the muzzy, the jetting and the snorkel and K&N filter done on the bike and bring it home the same day. We'll also see on that one. With the price of gas I can't afford two trips in with my diesel. Stinking fuel prices. Its $3.30 here and when I bought the truck 4 years ago it was $1.35 a gal, what the? Ok I have gotten off track, so that's the scoop for me today, and in the infamous words of Forest Gump, "That's all I got to say about that".

Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a flat after lowering tyre pressure to get up a wet greasy hill. I installed a rim lock, standard tube and ripped the valve out next big ride (steep hill, lowered pressure), since then I have installed a heavy duty tube, left the valve nut undone (it sits just under the valve cap now) and so far its been ok. Both flats were caused by ripping the valve stem partially out of the tube after the tyre moved on the rim.
Also after I put the rim lock in the back wheel was well out of balance when doing over 80 kmh (50mph), after fitting the h/d tube it is less notacable.
[quote deej] A side note on the 606, With the fact that it is at least 1 inch taller than the 603, and the fact that my knobbies were worn off an inch, the bike is 2 inches taller now and I can barely touch both feet flat on the ground [/quote]
Damn I can't make my bike taller it's too tall now !!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 02:32 PM

I really couldn't tell a difference in height when I put the 606 on my bike, but maybe I was just too damn excited to get back out and ride

Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I really couldn't tell a difference in height when I put the 606 on my bike, but maybe I was just too damn excited to get back out and ride

Inca how tall are you?
I was thinking of the 606 but never even thought of the tires being taller until deej brought it up. I'm only 5'7" & change. The KLX is about as tall as I can comfortably handle. On mud and deep gravel, obviously the high seat doesn't matter but on a hard packed uneven surface, I sometimes wish the seat was lower.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm the same on uneven ground I have to be real careful where I stop or I just drop the bike

Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Inca how tall are you?
I was thinking of the 606 but never even thought of the tires being taller until deej brought it up. I'm only 5'7" & change. The KLX is about as tall as I can comfortably handle. On mud and deep gravel, obviously the high seat doesn't matter but on a hard packed uneven surface, I sometimes wish the seat was lower.
I'm 5'-9 1/2" to be exact, and I can understand about the uneven surfaces, thats how I dropped my bike one time, I was going up this off camber hill, lost balance and tried to put my foot down to catch myself, well my foor still had about 3 feet to go until it hit any type of ground, so over I went. But actually now that I think about it a little harder, I do believe that the bike actually felt just a little taller, but the biggest reason for that is probably because I had COMPLETLEY worn out all my knobbies, the 603 tire was pretty much a slick tire when I changed it.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

It doesn't really matter how tall you are, I'm 6-1 and the other day I stopped on a trail and the lean was on the downside angle of the trail, and I almost lost the bike. The trick is to really look where you are going to stop, and pick the lean to the high side whichever side that might be. Of course that the theory, but it doesn't mean its fool proof.

Quick Reply: 606 ON BABY!!