50 tooth rear sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
snappster, I know it's doable, but what method will you use to change your front sprockets while on the trip?...removal, nut torque, etc.? Was curious if you were having a support vehicle traveling in concert with you or some other way you were busting loose the countershaft nut and retorquing. Even working in a shop, I've never thought about changing front sprockets in the field without a big breaker bar, torque wrench, or power tools...which would seem quite ungainly on a self-supported cycle trip trying to carrying any of those items. In my vehicle camp by van or RV, I can see that being a snap...no pun intended...LOL! As you can guess, my curiosity is just the logistics of tools and sprocket service in the field. Obviously anything is doable, but you strike me as not that guy who prefers to do sprocket changes with a crescent wrench, pliers, and a hammer...LOL!
I am glad you asked that question. At home I use a socket and a 14" long ratchet. Anybody remember what size the sprocket nut is? Instead of carrying the weight of my home tools, I am thinking that a stubby box end wrench with a cheater pipe that can double as a jack stand for removing wheels may work. I get by with a 14" wrench by stepping on the rear brake hard and pushing the wrench with my left foot. I definitely want to minimize weight and also practice at home the theories I develop sitting around that might not work in the bush. I probably will not need to worry with sprockets until I reach Colorado, maybe Oklahoma if the mud there has me overheating my clutch. That won't happen on my first sally as I intend to do the eastern half only for the first year and the western half the following year. I do intend to start the trip with an all new clutch with some extra-stiff clutch springs to guard against unintended slippage and suffer a harder lever pull. Suddenly I am sensing that this maybe a somewhat quixotic adventure but riding solo I won't have a companion to taunt me.

Last edited by snappster; 09-06-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you've given it some good thought, and I can see a creative method like that working in the field when done carefully. The lack of a torque wrench really isn't absolute if you have a decent feel of "just about right". I've done lots of things off of a motorcycle over the years, but traveling on a small motorcycle, across country, with all your self sustained gear is not one I have ever lusted after...LOL! My hat's off to those who do, and I bet you'll get it done.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

My current combination is indeed 13/50. I haven't attempted to make a top speed run but something north of 8000rpm for 65mph seems about right. It's turning 6500 or so at 55mph.

I'm fortunate to live about 4 miles from BLM land and maybe 20 miles from national forest lands. The road between home and BLM/national forest is posted 50mph so I really have no need to do anything more than 55ish.

Good call on watching for overheating when riding with my boy. I'll certainly monitor.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I was able to ride about 60 miles yesterday -- the first significant outing with the new 13/50 combo. What should have made for glorious blue sky views in mid September were spoiled by the large amounts of smoke blowing in from fires burning a few hundred miles to the west.

First of all, I noticed my stock speedo is erroneous by 10-12% compared to GPS indicated. 62mph on the speedo is really only about 55mph per GPS. I had never bothered to check this previously, and curious if this is normal on other bikes?

Second, at 65mph the engine is turning north of 8500rpm. Again, this is not a concern for me personally but I can absolutely see how it would be an issue with others.

I am still quite happy with the 50t rear. I was mostly riding desert two-track roads with ruts, humps, bumps, whoops and the like, cruising at 25-30mph in mosty 3rd and 4th gear. In 3rd gear especially, lifting the front tire to speed over ruts is easy with a little throttle and pull of the handlebars. Not surprisingly, it pulls a lot better from low rpm.

I encountered a very rocky ~1 mile stretch of road as I dropped about 1000ft elevation going from the rim of the plateau down to the Snake River. I stopped at a convenient place to snap a couple of photos but they don't really do it justice. It was pretty gnarly: steep, rocky, dusty, with some loose sand type stuff thrown in for good measure. This would have SUCKED with my stock 14/42 gearing. But the 13/50 combo allowed me to easily stand up on the pegs, and lug it up out of there in granny gear (what I now call 1st gear).

I'm liking this setup a lot. Looking forward to some single track later this month and into October.