50 tooth rear sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 50 tooth rear sprocket

With the help of the EXCELLENT thread on here "What's your gearing combination and chain length?", I ordered a 50 tooth rear sprocket to replace the 42 tooth stock unit, and a new 110 link chain. Thanks very much everyone who has contributed to that most useful reference!

LOTS more single track trails are in my future and I very much wanted/needed the extra grunt. Also, I need to drop my 1st gear speed to be able to match that of my 9 year old. Top speed concerns me little -- zero actually. I figure the very max I'll be doing is ~65mph, and only for relatively short stints.

I haven't had it on the dirt just yet. But it is very obvious this made a huge difference testing it in the yard and on the asphalt. Wheelies in 1st and 2nd are now possible. This is going to be a whole new and more enjoyable machine on the trails!

Old 09-01-2020, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Checkout RideWithWill (his klx250s videos at least) on YouTube.
One of the few (along with Crosstrainingenduro) that are really good.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm familiar with RideWithWill but haven't seen his latest videos.

I don't think the humble KLX gets enough credit. No, it's not a 200lb KTM 2 stroke and it won't behave like one on the trails. But once expectations are set, it's a very worthy machine.

To be clear, I do not intend to ride only single tracks. But there are plenty of forest roads around me which can be tied together via single tracks.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I run a 47t rear with the stock 14t cs and have zero regrets. There's been plenty of times where that gearing has helped with steep climbs or when coming down a hill or mountain where using the brake was out of the question. I know you'll enjoy your combination.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Forest Thump, that will be an interesting combination of 13/50. People should run what they want, and I can see it being great for following the kids...just watch for overheating. When you get it on the pavement, I think your 65 mph may be ambitious. I'm sure it will attain that speed, but it will probably only be good for a top speed run that you let off of after getting there. Even my 14/50 setup is screaming its guts out at that speed. I'm sure someone has run that combination, but I can't recall reading about it here. Let us know how the rpm and mph work out when you hit the asphalt. I'm curious.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

13:50? I thought FT was talking 14:50.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:02 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by philgoodklx
13:50? I thought FT was talking 14:50.
His info line describes his 50T rear and 13T front in the same line. That's where I got it.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought that, but when I re-checked it and couldn't find it I reckoned that I was mistaken.
Wouldn't fancy 13:50 at over 50mph - screaming Eagle!

Old 09-06-2020, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Forest Thump, that will be an interesting combination of 13/50. People should run what they want, and I can see it being great for following the kids...just watch for overheating. When you get it on the pavement, I think your 65 mph may be ambitious. I'm sure it will attain that speed, but it will probably only be good for a top speed run that you let off of after getting there. Even my 14/50 setup is screaming its guts out at that speed. I'm sure someone has run that combination, but I can't recall reading about it here. Let us know how the rpm and mph work out when you hit the asphalt. I'm curious.
Gearing Commander has him at 8239 rpm at 65 mph. I intend to run 15:43 when I start the TAT and bring a 14 and 13 along for use when needed.

Last edited by snappster; 09-06-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

snappster, I know it's doable, but what method will you use to change your front sprockets while on the trip?...removal, nut torque, etc.? Was curious if you were having a support vehicle traveling in concert with you or some other way you were busting loose the countershaft nut and retorquing. Even working in a shop, I've never thought about changing front sprockets in the field without a big breaker bar, torque wrench, or power tools...which would seem quite ungainly on a self-supported cycle trip trying to carrying any of those items. In my vehicle camp by van or RV, I can see that being a snap...no pun intended...LOL! As you can guess, my curiosity is just the logistics of tools and sprocket service in the field. Obviously anything is doable, but you strike me as not that guy who prefers to do sprocket changes with a crescent wrench, pliers, and a hammer...LOL!

Quick Reply: 50 tooth rear sprocket