4500 OTD too much???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 4500 OTD too much???

I have a local dealer that is wanting 4500 OTD, including everything. Is this too much for an 07klx250s? The reason i was wondering was because the new 08's are coming out and the dealer has 3 there. Anyone have any links to cheaper ones online so I can show him at the dealer and get him to drop the price a little? I was thinking more like 4200 otd but he was saying that was impossible.
Thanks
Josh

Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 4500 OTD too much???

Hey Josh, Hmmm let me see if I can put this in some sort of perspective. When I bought my 06 KLX in November of 05 I wanted the first one into the shop and evidently Western Washington. Because of that fact, I gave up all negotiation power simply put. And yet I didn't care what the bike cost, I knew what I wanted and I wanted the first one. The price for the bike was $4699.00 Then they added all the other stuff, and I added stuff and so really the "deal" I ended up with got lost in the shuffle and I went home with my bike and was happy with what I got and I've never looked back. The 07 bikes went up to $4799.00, and so of you are looking at a bike for $4500.00 and you say "including everything" I assume that means you hand them $4500.00 and you walk away with the bike? If so they jump on it. Oh sure you might save a couple hundred somewhere else but what's that gonna cost you in the long run? Its up to you, but if what you are saying is true about including everything, it sounds like a great deal. Besides I wouldnt want the 08, its red and we all know that green is faster.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM

deej, I like the new red one and it also comes in green bud.as far as his quote, I think it's not too bad but in this day and age when the KLX isn't hard to get and quite abundant I think it's high. I know there's a couple on ebay right now cheaper by more than a couple hundred, more like $700. Just do a search on ebay for KLX motorcycle and you'll see. There's a new one in Florida for $3800 I believe and another for $4199. As far as otd, just add tax to these I listed if you have to pay that or are even going to. If you don't license it you don't have to but what would be the point of buying one then anyway. I paid $4675 otd in April 2006 when KLX's were all new and dealer's didn't really have to come down at all. I'd shop around because they are quite easily found everywhere except here in Iowa. I'm looking for a used '07 or '06 with no miles just like I sold last spring when I wasn't thinking right. But if you want it bad enough, do it.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM

here's one on ebay for $3799.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I got mine off ebay for $3547 OTD. Took it home and added about $180 for "use tax" and the plate. My deal was extra special but, patience does pay occasionally. Add $300 for motels, gas, a pick up rental I had a nice 3 day weekend in Utah with a brand new KLX in the bed.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 PM

Hardtaco,
Where are you located?

If that OTD includes sales tax, then it's a good price. If it does not or if you're in a state that doesn't charge sales tax (e.g., OR), then it's an average price. You could do better, but at the expense of time and maybe driving distance. $4200 - $4300 is sort of the new OTD street price for these bikes with some going as low as $3,800 (see the eBay listing above). Depends on how much that $200-$300 means to you. To deej's point, how bad do you want it? Deej wanted it bad enough to pay more of a premium. Had he waited 2 years, he could have saved a lot of money, but look at how much fun he's had with his bike over the past 2 years. Same goes with you -- you could buy now and start enjoying the bike or you could wait and look for a better deal.

Good luck.

IG,
Just saw a listing on ebay for a new 2007 KLX300 in Fort Dodge. Was at $3,800 and change with a buy-it-now for $4,100. Not sure what the laws are like in IA as far as making a bike street legal. Could be an option for you, though. You'd get a little more bike and better off-road performance from the 300, but obviously would have the additional expense of the street-legal parts and no electric starter. Just saw the listing and thought of you. Take care.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy.

deej, I like the new red one and it also comes in green bud.as far as his quote, I think it's not too bad but in this day and age when the KLX isn't hard to get and quite abundant I think it's high. I know there's a couple on ebay right now cheaper by more than a couple hundred, more like $700. Just do a search on ebay for KLX motorcycle and you'll see. There's a new one in Florida for $3800 I believe and another for $4199. As far as otd, just add tax to these I listed if you have to pay that or are even going to. If you don't license it you don't have to but what would be the point of buying one then anyway. I paid $4675 otd in April 2006 when KLX's were all new and dealer's didn't really have to come down at all. I'd shop around because they are quite easily found everywhere except here in Iowa. I'm looking for a used '07 or '06 with no miles just like I sold last spring when I wasn't thinking right. But if you want it bad enough, do it.
I did not know that they came in both colors. I'm not saying I hate red, in fact I told a friend of mine that is seriously looking at the 08 to get the red one. That way people could tell us apart.......well I got the belly so I suppose that's a dead give away.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

I got mine off ebay for $3547 OTD. Took it home and added about $180 for "use tax" and the plate. My deal was extra special but, patience does pay occasionally. Add $300 for motels, gas, a pick up rental I had a nice 3 day weekend in Utah with a brand new KLX in the bed.
What? You sleep with your bike? Oh bed of the truck. I thought well....never mind.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 67L48

Hardtaco,
Where are you located?

If that OTD includes sales tax, then it's a good price. If it does not or if you're in a state that doesn't charge sales tax (e.g., OR), then it's an average price. You could do better, but at the expense of time and maybe driving distance. $4200 - $4300 is sort of the new OTD street price for these bikes with some going as low as $3,800 (see the eBay listing above). Depends on how much that $200-$300 means to you. To deej's point, how bad do you want it? Deej wanted it bad enough to pay more of a premium. Had he waited 2 years, he could have saved a lot of money, but look at how much fun he's had with his bike over the past 2 years. Same goes with you -- you could buy now and start enjoying the bike or you could wait and look for a better deal.

Good luck.

IG,
Just saw a listing on ebay for a new 2007 KLX300 in Fort Dodge. Was at $3,800 and change with a buy-it-now for $4,100. Not sure what the laws are like in IA as far as making a bike street legal. Could be an option for you, though. You'd get a little more bike and better off-road performance from the 300, but obviously would have the additional expense of the street-legal parts and no electric starter. Just saw the listing and thought of you. Take care.
thanks, I've seen that one too. I have a line on a 2002 KLX300 already with the DS kit on, but I've yet to see it in person. I'm not too motivated right now with snow on it's way but if I did happen to see a KLX250S on ebay close for a good price I'd buy it. The thing about the 300 is no e-start, no speedo or tach, footpegs, etc. The 250 is just better if you're riding on the street.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Nobody ever mentions it but the situation exists that some people don't have the cash to lay out for an ebay purchase. Usually if an individual has something for sale and it is a good deal cash is the ticket. So those who don't have the cash can't take advantage of some of the oportunities out there. Unfortuneately they are stuck with dealing with a dealer that can offer financing. Some dealers do use ebay and financing is usually available then.
No real point here, its just that for some, that "excellant" deal on ebay is not possible because of financing.
Hope you end up with a KLX.

Quick Reply: 4500 OTD too much???