45-tooth rear sprocket nearly non-existant

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Default RE: 45-tooth rear sprocket nearly non-existant

I ordered the JTR460.45T from ThumperTalk for $27.43. I got several other things so I am over their free shipping hurdle, so I don't know how expensive they are on shipping, but I seem to recall that they are pretty reasonable.

I looked around a bunch and this was the best price for the JT Sprocket item. They have a good deal on sprockets at RockyMountainATV, but they did not go down to a 45T. I think the smallest tooth count for a sprocket that fits our bike was 47T.

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Iowaguy,
I checked www.rockymountainatv.com and no they do not list a 45 in the $19.00 steel sprocket. So you might consider 14 tooth on the front and 48 tooth ($ 19.00 bucks) on the rear with 110 link chain (about $ 41.00). This will give you almost identical gear ratio to 13-45, plus you have more ratio options. For some really serious twisties you could try 13-48. Just a thought.

Matt

Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM

That's a good plan, mmatz. I considered that as well, but I ended up deciding on the 45/13 combo in order to keep my upper chain guard on the back. I know a lot of folks consider this the equivalent of tassles on a bicycle, but I commute on my bike, so I want to minimize the chance that dangling stuff can get caught in the chain.

Anyway, if this is not a consideration, the 48/14 is a great way to go.

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You all got me curious about my 45 tooth sprocket the dealership put on for me when I had the jetting and pipe done. Its a JT C 45 Part# JRT 460-45 I have to say the 13-45 seems for me to be the perfect combination, but truth be told if I had it to do again or maybe I will down the road, I want to go to a 14-48 to cut down on the wear and noise.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html?&L=0

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...t_id=JTR460-45

Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Chris,
I am currently running the 14-48 combination with the stock chain guard and guides w/ 110 link chain. I am pretty sure 48 is as large as you can go and retain the chain guard. I to like my chain guard as I take my daughter out for rides and want that extra protection back there. Yesterday I was riding some ATV trails and went down into a valley only to discover that the way out was just as steep, rocky and slick as the way I had come down. This brought to mind the occasional use of the 13-48 combo. (This would be equivalent to 14-51 keeping the stock gaurd in place). There was no way to ride out so I dismounted and walked/dragged and pulled my way out of that canyon with lots of clutching. Now I know why most of those ATV's that I see out there have winches!

Matt

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 AM

Dang - I wish I had known that a week ago. I expect my 45T sprocket & 108-link chain to arrive on Thursday. I guess I will just have to live with a slightly increased wear rate. I have never noticed the noise that people report.

Good to have first hand info that the 48T will fit under that guard, though.

Thanks.

Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: deej

You all got me curious about my 45 tooth sprocket the dealership put on for me when I had the jetting and pipe done. Its a JT C 45 Part# JRT 460-45 I have to say the 13-45 seems for me to be the perfect combination, but truth be told if I had it to do again or maybe I will down the road, I want to go to a 14-48 to cut down on the wear and noise.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html?&L=0

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...t_id=JTR460-45
I keep hearing the "wear" issue with the 13-tooth countershaft sprocket. Personally I haven't noticed any abnormal wearing or noise. I think it's an old wise tale. Also, installing a larger sprocket on the rear will slow down the chain which is what people say is wearing after a 13-tooth install, so even if it's true, after the larger rear sprocket I guess it will cancel it out.
Well first of all its Wife's tale Sorry I had to, and second, when a chain has to go around a sprocket, there is wear period. When you make the turn smaller and smaller it causes the chain to wear faster. The noise is really only heard if you lean ahead of the sprocket or stand up which puts you ahead automatically.

So our bikes came with a 14-42 setup. While there is nothing wrong with going down in the front, the tight turn will wear out the chain faster. The 13 tooth front was the first mod I did. Going to a 14-48 will relieve the front a little and be the same as the 13-45. Remember its the chain, not the sprocket that wears faster. It's all in what you want. Since I have been out of the loop for 25 years, I'm no expert, but gearing is gearing, and what I would suggest to new owners of our bike now is to go to a 45 or a 48 on the back if you want the low end grunt on the trails, or leave the stock gears alone if you are mostly on the blacktop and fire roads.

Quick Reply: 45-tooth rear sprocket nearly non-existant