351 weakly cranking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
OK, you may have a wiring failure in the motor. Don't know how their wired, but you could put a ohm meter on the leads/armature. I looked in my service manual, I couldn't find anywhere where it even mention the elec side of the starter, but I might have missed it!
A guy at work reminded me of an auto alternator/motor shop near my home so I dropped the motor off to let the experts look it over. Hope I get some news tomorrow, I miss riding the little bugger around town because the long travel suspension smooths the bumps out that the Triumph doesn't. Can anyone confirm that the 9999-0073 kick starter kit fits the 2009 bikes? Anyone use a kicker with a 351? Is the KACR advised for kicking over the 351? Hard to believe a new starter motor costs as much as the kicker kit, and I want both before I set out on the TAT rides coming up in the mid future.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't put a KS on it, unless you have to restart a lot. Just don't stop at the bottom of a vavene. I bump start mine in 2nd if required, which isn't often.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Snap, it seems, from posts on the subject, that the KS refit does not provide the a reliable starting backup.. I have always assumed the reason folks can't start their KLX's with the KS retrofit is due to incompatible KACR settings. This is assuming peeps understand the proper procedure for kick starting a 4 stroke engine and aren't simply "wailing away" on it...

Point is, perhaps leaving the KACR spring off is the answer to easy kick starting (Kicking from just past TDC)..

Last edited by Klxster; 12-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Snap, it seems, from posts on the subject, that the KS refit does not provide the a reliable starting backup.. I have always assumed the reason folks can't start their KLX's with the KS retrofit is due to incompatible KACR settings. This is assuming peeps understand the proper procedure for kick starting a 4 stroke engine and aren't simply "wailing away" on it...

Point is, perhaps leaving the KACR spring off is the answer to easy kick starting (Kicking from just past TDC)..
I believe disabling the KACR caused my 250 to start faster than when it was working. I haven't re-installed the spring even with the 351 and starting was fast but perhaps the added strain of the bigger piston and higher CR killed my starter motor. I await the motor shop to give me their judgement on that. I intend to replace the spring in the KACR and see how it starts once I get the motor back, hopefully repaired, if it needs repair. As far as KS and KACR are concerned, I was wondering if kicking over the BB351 was difficult enough to require compression release operation. It's just a little 351, not a big thing. Need to man up and kick it like I mean it. I actually do enjoy the act of kicking over my trials bike but its engine is truly a baby; air cooled 143cc TTR engine.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Just got word that the motor is OK. Got new brushes and only cost $30. Wow, value this day and time surprises. Next I will check out the grounding points and the starter relay. Good thing I don't troubleshoot for a living.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Bike is back together and starts much more vigorously. Not sure what was the root cause. After installing the refreshed starter motor I tested the starter relay per the service manual and it checked out. Everything checked out, but now she starts. Perhaps the act of disconnecting the relay plugs and reconnecting them did it, maybe some corrosion. Think I will go back in and apply dielectric grease after cleaning every connector on the bike. But not this weekend. Taking my sons out with their PW80 for some fun first rides solo on a gas powered bike. And some trials bike fun for me if I get the chance.