351 testing waters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I assume you have a CVK carb which is pretty much the same on all KLX's. It will work as that is what is in front of my 331 kit. I put a Dyno jet kit in the carb years ago. After experimenting I ended up with a #130dj main jet and left the pilot the same. When I go to the mountains i change to a #124dj main jet and it runs pretty good. I get pretty decent performance with this set up but I know the aftermarket carb would be better. Since I started out with a KLX300 I was not able to make one of Bill Blue's carbs work. On my bike I would have had to shim the tank up almost 3/4 of an inch to allow the carb to clear which caused other issues that could not be corrected. Bill has a TM33/34 Mikuni carb on his wife's bike and was very happy with it. Postings on this web site and others have a lot of positive feed back on this carb and even better feedback on the Mikuni 36-68 carb which Bill also modifies. I would personally recommend an upgrade but it is not necessary to enjoy some of the benefits of a new kit.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Started today around 10a, got the head, cylinder and piston off by noon, Alright ill be doing victory laps before sundown. Not the case. Cams showed some pretty significant wear and one of the buckets did too, same with were the cams sit. Looks like Ill be doing an unexpected webcams upgrade.

Anyone have a extra head in good shape and willing to part with it? Also What is a recommended break in oil?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Just put the spark plug in to check and see if my valves were sealing and after abot 5 minuets they let all the solvent thru gonna need a valve job too

Last edited by Illking; 03-11-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
Just put the spark plug in and check to see if my valves were sealing and after abot 5 minuets they let all the solvent thru gonna new valves too.
That looks like some pretty extensive damage. How many miles do you have on the bike ? I would want to figure out why that happened before getting any replacement parts and putting the bike back together myself.

Last edited by wildcard; 03-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Contact Bill Blue. When I visited his shop he had some of the items you need laying around his shop. He also does valve jobs. He may be able to diagnose what caused your problems. It is worth a try. I would not be afraid of doing your own assembly work unless you personally feel that some of your past practices could have caused the problems. A good manual will give you the dos and don'ts which is what any shop would do.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure the bike was run low on oil by a PO or missed a early service interval. I talked to bill and he said He'd have to look at it but could most likely do the work. Id prefer to have a local shop handle it though cause im on kinda a time crunch. He also said not to put the webcams in, that he designed the kit for stock cams and that Id'd loose HP with the webcams or be unhappy with there performance. I was suprised to here that because I was sold on webcams after reading this https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-report-36687/ I had actually already ordered them and canceled my order after talkting to bill.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Everyone here who has upgraded witht he webcams seems to be happy with them. I'm not sure what bill is talking about...

Last edited by wildcard; 03-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Everyone here who has upgraded witht he webcams seems to be happy with them. I'm not sure what bill is talking about...
Thats what Ive been reading. Im so confused now.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I think Bill position is that the porting on the head is maxed out at about 300cc's, with the 350 & high rpms, the stock porting is limiting the output.
Weber cams are ok, but generally your trying to squeeze more HP by opening up the cam timing... but with a 351 the porting openings are restricting the full use of the modded-cam. With a 250 the increase in cam performance is realized.
For the bang for the buck, porting is strictly for racer's trying to squeeze every HP out of the cc's.
If your putting a new weber cam in, go for torque at lower rpms, not the max high rpm mod.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't understand how a larger bore/piston can be designed for a particular grind of cam.

I can understand how a bump-up in displacement could be made to work even better by a change of cam grind/profile..

Quick Reply: 351 testing waters.