351 with stock carb - a detailed review

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I thot the Kouba was different from stock.. Explains why you are "good" at 1 out vs more like 2 out for the stock fuel screw..

Carry on my good man - God save the Queen, the British are coming, bring out yer dead..
after getting it GOOD and warmed up after a spirited ride, i have settled on 1.5 turns out as the spot between drops (love the kuoba screw, best $20 ever).

146 main jet dynobutt report: I think it pulls a hair harder way up top, not surprising. Pulling well to redline but power still tapering off over 9000rpm, I really feel the cam/heads may be at their limit of flow.

Mid range still feels/sounds fat. 146/Running characteristics improved over 144 (less warm up lean bog, lessened feeling of dead zone between 4-5k, more wheelie power off idle)

Overall... 146/1N stock spring, 40 pilot is an extremely stable well running setup with almost perfect throttle response and no issues anywhere. Dyno may say otherwise but I would be happy to run this setup forever, it works.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Well we really need some dyno data for these lidless setups on big bores. Just one good AFR chart would be very helpful..

I agree that it's very possible that the ports, valves, and cams are being "pushed" too hard with a BB for really big top end power. It is also possible the CVK34 limits top end power production.. But until we see data, we can only speculate..
I do believe the lidless setups will produce the very best overall power curves - same as with the stockbores..

Can you imagine putting a snorkel and a DJ132 main jet back in your bike.. Hopefully, those setups are about to become "old school"..

If a lidless BB+CVK+full exhaust system can approach 30 hp with broad TRQ curves, we've got a new paradigm - and we all need to "BB-up"..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-09-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster

Can you imagine putting a snorkel and a DJ132 main jet back in your bike..
HAH! No..... dont make me get sick in the corner. nor can I imagine riding the 250 bore anymore. Ultimate HP is in question but torque is up massively everywhere, 330/351 is the motor it should have had

Old 06-10-2017, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jabara572
Ultimate HP is in question but torque is up massively everywhere, 330/351 is the motor it should have had
Agree completely!
I recently had the opportunity to ride a stock KLX back to back with my 351 and the difference between the two was incredible!

Also rode a buddies WR250R and while the WR pulls hard when the RPM gets way up it does not have the mid range torque of the 351. My buddy was impressed as well.
Money WELL spent.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Have any of you guys with the 330/351 found that the front suspension seems a lot more awful on the road after adding the extra power?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan632
Have any of you guys with the 330/351 found that the front suspension seems a lot more awful on the road after adding the extra power?
No? No offense meant but why would it be?/explain.

I have noticed having to use more brakes but.....that's a byproduct of going faster. I have the stiffer SF forks so I can see maybe the soft S would feel more divey or something.

But to answer your question, no it handles exactly the same, which is excellent with the SF suspension

Old 08-25-2017, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi everyone. First off, I have to say sorry. I kind of left everyone hanging. I injured my back and hip earlier this summer, so I've only put about 200 miles on my bike this season. I haven't had my bike dyno'd yet, either. What I have noticed is that with the current carb setup the power seems great the whole way through the rev range. There is a bit of bad. The bike smokes in the mid range. The smoke is definitely gas smell. It's not oily or anti-freeze smelling. It does it when i do quick revs and when I'm coming down from full throttle. It only does it in the mid range. I'm running the 2152 kit needle right now. I think I'm going to switch to the needle from the 2206 kit. Does anyone have the part number for the needle?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I just found the part number earlier in this thread. It's the DNO352. Now does anyone know any suppliers that sell them? I can order one directly from DJ, but their shipping is like $15.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Bryan, as far as I know, the only way you can get the DNO352 needle is by buying a DJ 2206 kit. DJ will not sell just a needle - when I've called them trying to.. Let me re-read your posts to see if I can help you...Be Right Back..

Ok.. So you are DJ148/1N, stock spring, 3/32 lift port, #40 pilot... Just as your tag line says,lol...

About this "smoking"... That is a "first".. I've not heard of that symptom before. There was a member that noticed a puff of smoke upon snapping to WOT from certain starting RPM's, which should be considered "normal" IMO..

Quick rev smoking - if it is just a "puff" - it may not indicate an issue, else, extended smoking at quick rev could indicate blowby getting into the combustion chamber from the initial high vacuum event in the milliseconds it takes for the slide to respond to your butterfly valve snap.

Smoking while the engine is decelerating can certainly indicate blowby getting into the combustion chamber as that is also a extremely high vacuum event.

That is about all I can think of regarding this issue - at least right now ... If I am right, your smoking could disappear/lessen as your rings seat in over time..

Ok, done with the edits on this post..lol.. I suck..

Last edited by Klxster; 08-25-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Also Bryan, the DNO352 needle will control fueling, below 6.5K, better than the DN0228. But it is not clear that this is what your bike needs as you have no fueling issues currently. The smoking is most certainly not related to your needle.

But,

If you are determined to try the DN0352 needle, perhaps you should first reinstall the stock needle with both DJ washers slipped on below its' retainer - which will shim it .040 inches.. The idea is that doing this will give you a taste of a leaner AFR from off idle to about 7K (on a stockbore). The AFR above this will also be leaned out as the stock needle is far thicker than the DN0228, especially near its' tip - so while it may not happen, don't be surprised if the top end is a little down on power..
If you like what you get, a DN0352 would certainly be worth trying out.. Just know that the 352 is not without its' own set of problems - that damned ultra fast taper near its' end that quickly moves the AFR to full rich. If the 351 is opening the slide at an advanced rate over a 250 (which is a logical assumption), that tip on the 352 might be a "deal breaker".. You could get a powerful, nonlinear, surge of power, or a flat spot, when that fast taper pulls out of the needle jet.

Last edited by Klxster; 08-25-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 351 with stock carb - a detailed review