351 plus TM36-68 Eee Hhaa!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by neilapples
Is your Pump squirt should be splashing off the needle? It needs to splash of the needle for a more complete burn (this is in the HSR40 manual).
Yup, it splashes off the needle.

NO P7 needle jet available.

David

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm P7 jet..... probably equals a P6 jet with a richer needle, which is what I have in mine....... or a P8 jet with a leaner needle, which sounds like you're about to go to.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Man I wish I knew what I was doing with carb tuning... I'm embarrased to admit that I still can't loft the front wheel very easily with my 351 and TM36-68 pumper... (stock gearing). I know it can do better in terms of torque, but I just don't know how to get started tuning. I installed the TM36 in stock form, ran fine and I left it.

I've never been good at wheelies but have also never had a problem lofting the front of my CR125 over big logs etc.

- frustrated in BC :-(

Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is another thread to read and ponder the jetting of the TM-36

http://klxforum.suncup.net/viewtopic...ebb740d769a176

Dennis

Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I went for a 60.4 mile ride today.

Starts right up, It can be flooded. No matter how cold it will Start.

I marked my throttle for 1/4 and 3/4 on the grip going by where the slide was in the carb.

Most of my riding was between 50 and 65 indicated mph. Engine pulls like crazy, its right in its power band at around 6,000 rpm. It will pull right up from 4,000 rpm in high gear. Torque is where its at. Once it gets over 8500 rpm it starts to sputter, so I think it needs a bigger main. Right now it has nothing on the high end.

Most of my riding was at or just below 1/4 throttle to keep the above speeds. On one long road I hit the kill switch just before a stop sign. I coasted down and pulled the spark plug. The insulator was white as can be. No signs of overheating, but no color at all. Exhaust had a little black to it. I could stick my finger in the tailpipe and make you a nice fingerprint. Hot starts took a twist of the throttle, so I went in 1/4 turn on the pilot screw. This made it better, but still not what I am looking for.

The throttle response is amazing, almost annoying. From idle to low speed its pretty sensitive. Only turn the throttle a little if you want a little response. It will lift the front wheel from almost any RPM in first gear. 1/4 to 3/4 acceleration is awesome. I don't want to change a thing there. Full throttle it spits and sputters starting around 9,000 RPM. I am going to try a 135 main.

Bike still goes 83 indicated mph just like before.

60.4 miles today, 1.1 gallons gas, 55 smiles per gallon.

One happy camper
David

Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

You are too rich on the main. I'd suggest going the other direction one step at a time until it cleans up and starts pulling at WOT.

Trying to read spark plug color with today's gas is futile. The plugs will always be white unless the bike is ridiculously rich.

Good luck.

Ron

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperHawk
Here is another thread to read and ponder the jetting of the TM-36

http://klxforum.suncup.net/viewtopic...ebb740d769a176

Dennis
I read this whole thread after you posted it. Thank you. I did not end up with setup the same as those folks. P8 needle jet seems to be best, but I am still messing with it.

I have a 125 and 135 main I can try both. If its too rich, it would take a LOT of gas to drown it out at 9,000 rpm. Only time will tell.

The 6500 rpm sputter or occasional misfire seems to be gone. It just wants to go! When I first got this bike it would not even pull below 55 mph in 6th gear. Now I can accelerate from 40 mph or 4,000 rpm in high gear. NICE!

I can't be too far off on the jetting if I am getting 55 mpg. I don't HAVE to do a wheelie every time I take off now. Getting used to it.

I keep looking for 7th gear, so maybe a 15 tooth front sprocket. I am just going to ride it for a while first.

David

Last edited by David R; 02-18-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

David, first off,, thanks forthe great report!!!
Questions: are you at sea level?
What is your FINAL jetting?
I am going to purchase a carb and would like to get the jetting you are experimenting with to give me a head start or, maybe perfect from the word go.
I am at seal level or slightly above here in NJ.
Thanks again for the great write up.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by GaryC
David, first off,, thanks forthe great report!!!
Questions: are you at sea level?
What is your FINAL jetting?
I am going to purchase a carb and would like to get the jetting you are experimenting with to give me a head start or, maybe perfect from the word go.
I am at seal level or slightly above here in NJ.
Thanks again for the great write up.
Thank you Gary C.

I am just south of Lake Ontario, so seal level is close enough for me.

I do not have a final jetting yet. Next step is back to the 15 pilot and up to the 135 on the main. The bike runs great and I am almost there, but its 16*f this morning so I have to wait some more.

I am after better hot starts. I should just be able to push the button with out turning the throttle. I also need to address the wide open sputter around 9,000 rpm.

I found another thing about this carb. The slide will go up 1/4" or more into the top of the carb after its full open. I am going to adjust the the stop for full throttle. Response of the slide carb IS far better than the cvk.

David

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
I am after better hot starts. I should just be able to push the button with out turning the throttle. I also need to address the wide open sputter around 9,000 rpm.
David
The 9,000 rpm sputter may be due to the valve train, not the carb. Look at the dyno run for the KLX300:
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2206.pdf

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: 351 plus TM36-68 Eee Hhaa!