351 knocking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drw
Couldn't you spray soapy water on the exhaust system at the connection points and watch for bubbles when it runs? Kind of like testing for leaks in natural gas lines.
Unfortunately I doubt if that would work well as the heat from the manifold would cause it to boil and bubble even without a possible leak.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Dan, mine sounds similar to yours. Not quite as loud but I'm guessing it's because of the "audio in a can" sound that the video gives off. I noticed a bit of knocking immediately after I installed the kit and it hasn't gone away (although it's better when warm) but it hasn't been bothersome nor overly loud. I haven't worried too much about it. Maybe I should?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Dan, mine sounds similar to yours. Not quite as loud but I'm guessing it's because of the "audio in a can" sound that the video gives off. I noticed a bit of knocking immediately after I installed the kit and it hasn't gone away (although it's better when warm) but it hasn't been bothersome nor overly loud. I haven't worried too much about it. Maybe I should?
That is exactly the same boat I'm in. I wasn't sure if it sounded bad or not. That's why I hadn't posted about it yet. My video is a little mis-leading. I was afraid the camera wouldn't pick up the knock, but it actually seemed to single it out.

I checked for exhaust leaks using incense. The rising smoke wasn't disturbed at any of the connections. Didn't try the screwdriver listening trick yet, will give that a shot tomorrow. After Armycopters comment, maybe it's just the 351's sound. Maybe I'll try another vid to see if I can get a better representation of what I'm hearing.
Dan

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

After Armcopters comment I'm starting to think it may be a normal amount of noise for the 351. Like I said the video does seem to amplify the knock. I emailed Bill Blue and sent him a link for the vid.

Here is what he suggested.
" From what I can hear it sounds like the cam chain tensioner is not working corect we had a local bike do this or the cams are out of time by one tooth.
1St. Check the cam timing again.
2Nd. check the valve clerance.
3Rd. Remove the cam chain tensioner & clean it & re install it start the bike see if the noise is still there.
4Th. If the noise is still there remove the 12MM head bolt & spring from the center of the cam chain tensioner, put a small screw driver or punch in the opening where the bolt & spring came out of push it in one notch to tighten the cam chain tension don't go in more than one notch at a time it may take two times of adjusting, re install the spring & bolt start the bike see how it sounds.
If you still have trouble call me"

I also took another vid of the bike shortly after returning from riding. when the bike is warm like this the noise is not nearly as loud.
click the pic to watch vid (let me know if that vid works for you, i'm having trouble playing it)

I sent Bill the "warmed up" video to see what he thinks of that. I still plan on checking the items he suggested. The bike runs really strong , I cant imagine the timing is off.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 06-10-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan, took a little work to get the video to play but once I got finally opened it the video played with no issues. The bike does not sound as bad/loud as the first video and I saw where you have checked for exhaust leaks so I was obviously off base with my call. With Bill's suggestions I hope you find the cause and can get it to where your concern is eliminated.

On another note I should be installing my 351 kit along with the pumper carb and the Q4 & Megabomb over the weekend. I'll post up once it's done how it went.

Last edited by Miaugi; 06-10-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Miaugi, I think Photobucket is having issues right now, I was having trouble even bringing up the site.
The exhaust leak idea wasn't off base, that just wasn't the prob
Good luck with the 351 install, post up or shoot a pm if you have a question. Bag \ label all your parts. Another tip, not all the bolts are the same length, make sure you note which hole each one came from.
Dan

Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

check the gap between the cam and valve and timing while you are in there.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, Kind of a PITA, but today I went ahead and tore into the bike to check the timing and valve clearances like Bill Blue suggested. (I'm going to find an old 8mm socket and weld it to some rod to make a nice T handle wrench)
Timing looked fine.
Name:  IMG_6468.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  81.1 KB

Valve clearances were the same as when I checked at the 351 install, with one intake valve being right on low. I'm not sure if one valve at low limit would cause the sound, but I didn't think so. If I had the time and the access to a shim I would have changed it, but I don't think it was the problem. Removed the cam chain tensioner, and looked it over. Looked clean and in good shape. Re-installed tensioner and fired it up. I don't know if its me or not but it seemed to be quieter. ????????? Didn't take a vid, but I will try to soon so you can compare. I may have made a mountain out of a mole hill here, as I said at the start of this, I wasn't sure if it was too noisy or not. Maybe the tensioner ended up being one tooth tighter after re-installing it??? I'll keep an eye, or ear, on it and post an update in a bit.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Dan

Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

good stuff

Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you don't have a cam timing issue there with that pic. Dan, is your engine exactly at TDC in the pic? My worn out chain caused my cam sprocket marks to be a little more off than yours, but my new chain had those marks dead flat with the valve cover surface at TDC.

Your comment on the noise possibly getting quieter when reinstalling the tensioner might not be weird. I got mine to quieten when I reinstalled the tensioner even when I had a worn out chain. My cam timing marks were slightly off at TDC, but the chain quietened. I didn't see anything wrong with the tensioner, and I don't know what I did to it to make it quieten the chain. I'm not saying that your case is the same, but I don't trust this tensioner design.

Quick Reply: 351 knocking when cold