351 Kit, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode a buddy of mine's new WRR.. Had an FMF Q4 w/powerbomb, and had the computer reprogrammed.. I dunno.. It just didn't impress me. It reminded me of a tall moped.

And I'm thinking he spent about $800 on those two mods. I dunno.. Just seems like more money then they're worth.

Although $3,500 with a warranty is pretty good.. I bet that bike would be nice with a BB kit

Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Sarah, what carb and muffler system did you go with?

Thanks,
Norm

Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Norm,

Roger has the stock carb with a Dynojet kit; per Bill's instructions he went up two on the main jet (it was included in the DJ kit) and up one to a 40 on the pilot. He has the FMF Q4 slip-on; none of us like loud pipes and we think this one sounds just right. It has melted his turn signal though, so bear that in mind.

Sarah

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
What's interesting is that I am aware of all the short comings of the KLX and have spent thousands trying to overcome them.
Knowing all along that it's still not as "good" as a stock DRZ400e.
If I jump straight off mine and onto Robs I realise that DRZ is still more powerful, responsive and has better suspension.

Power? It has almost 150 more CC's, of course its going to be more powerful. The bike is set up for a heavier rider and engine too. Seriously sounds like you bought the wrong bike!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Good thread - I am going through a lot of these 351 thoughts right now, too.

I had been happily riding my KLX around town until I went on a canyon run with a couple friends last fall. The KLX was still nimble and fun to ride, but had no grunt coming out of the sharp turns and I was constantly downshifting and pegging the throttle trying to keep up. Some long hill climbs were terrible...I watched my friends on the cruisers walk away as more and more bikes piled up behind me as I strained to get up the hills. They're steep and long.

This summer, I fitted a FMF Q4 and rejetted 40/128, 2 turns out. (High altitude, so not as rich as some folks.) I had a UNI filter and smog removal previously done. The last two canyon runs have been a little better, but I am still not enjoying the ride as much due to the lack of power.

At this point, I think I have a couple options:

- 351 kit. Sink another $600 in to the bike, hope the power works out. Still have the dinky 2 gallon tank and white knuckle riding over 70 mph.

- Motard it. New 17's with street tires and different gearing may help. Or, I'll have a $1200 set of wheels and tires laying about. Still have the dinky tank. Maybe the shakes won't be as bad on the highway without the knobbies.

- Get a DRZ400SM. I get mixed reviews on this. Heavier, maybe not as fun to ride, still wheezing at 75 mph? (We have to run 10 highway miles to get to the canyon playground.)

- Get a DR650SE. Way more power, better road manners, is this what I should have done in the first place since I mostly ride on road and explore fire roads?

I'm torn between the bike I love, a bigger dualsport thumper or a motard.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

A 351 kit will give the DR650 a run for it's money in the twisties.

Sarah

Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine runs away from a stock DRZ400 in the twisties and @ higher speeds. But he's got me on the straight runs and off the start...BTW I can also run away from some of the sport bikes I ride with too (in the twisties).

Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

$600 for the 351 is the best your gonna get. $1200 for an SM setup and still only 250 CC's, top speed isn't going to be what you want and you'll have to change the wheels every time you want to off road. Who knows how much you would need for the DR650, plus its a heavier bike. Go for the 351, you WILL NOT be disappointed...and you can run a 15/39 for a higher top speed.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xplosivo1
$600 for the 351 is the best your gonna get. $1200 for an SM setup and still only 250 CC's, top speed isn't going to be what you want and you'll have to change the wheels every time you want to off road. Who knows how much you would need for the DR650, plus its a heavier bike. Go for the 351, you WILL NOT be disappointed...and you can run a 15/39 for a higher top speed.
+1...That is what I would do too. I am also a lighter rider, 140#s and this and the seat height is alot of the reason I bought the KLX250SF to begin with.

I have heard nothing but good things about Bill Blue and his 351 kit!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback, 351 guys (and ladies)!

Perhaps the 351, a bigger tank, and less aggressive knobbies would dial the bike in for the riding I want to do. I am happy the 90% of the time I am cruising around town, running errands or exploring trails. It's just that canyon and the highway in between town and the trails that makes me wish I had more power.

I might still get blown around a bit on the highway, but it's the vibes I think are coming from the knobbies that's bugging me. I can cruise all day at 65, but over 70 it feels goosey.

I'll read up on new sprockets, too. I want more low end, and I should replace the chain soon anyway.

Quick Reply: 351 Kit, Please!