351 Kit, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I did manage to find a used WRR with a yamalink for sale. I took cash with me and fully intended to bring it home based on all I'd read about it. Maybe it was that particular bike, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. The snatchy throttle right off idle turned me off completely. I'll do my best to ride another one before I make a decision on a KLX.

Sarah

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Sarah, I also had a demo ride on a new WR but the Motard version. The snatchy throttle turned me off also. I ended up buying the KLX which felt much smoother and comfortable to me.

Norm

Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bake
To me, it isn't a terribly strong thing, but in high crosswinds, I've sometimes felt this.
My '07 is lowered 2", and I don't think it helped or hurt this "feel". I changed the front fender to a narrower UFO, thinking the front was hunting around because it's so wide. No change. It is a light weight bike, and because the rider is sitting bolt upright, the aerodynamics aren't real spiffy at speed.
I do know when I used the WER steering damper, I could tune that completely out of the bike, so there is an answer for that. It certainly isn't the first bike that might feel twitchy and had it's manners corrected with a steering damper.
Does anyone ride an '09 and report this same thing? I'd be curious if it does or doesn't, as clues to the definition of this might lie in the different tires.
I ride an '09 KLX 250 SF and mine gets a gyration @ about 70 to 80 MPH on the freeway. I have tried everything to eliminate it and as of today I even balanced the front wheel, it was barely even out. I wanted to get a steering dampener for it but am having a hard time finding one for my bike. Anyway I still would like to do my best to eliminate this problem before I mask or hide it with a dampener.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
I ride an '09 KLX 250 SF and mine gets a gyration @ about 70 to 80 MPH on the freeway. I have tried everything to eliminate it and as of today I even balanced the front wheel, it was barely even out. I wanted to get a steering dampener for it but am having a hard time finding one for my bike. Anyway I still would like to do my best to eliminate this problem before I mask or hide it with a dampener.
The bikes weight, geometry and aerodynamics lend it to stability issues at high speed.

Not much you can do about weight and aero's but you could try slowing down the steering by reducing the rear preload and/or dropping the forks as far as possible.
But it is what it is.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I'd just get a KTM 450 or 530 EXC if I had to do it all over again!

Last edited by klx250s_rider; 08-11-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

What's interesting is that I am aware of all the short comings of the KLX and have spent thousands trying to overcome them.
Knowing all along that it's still not as "good" as a stock DRZ400e.
If I jump straight off mine and onto Robs I realise that DRZ is still more powerful, responsive and has better suspension.

Don't even mention the serious kit like the Kato's WR's etc etc.

Sometimes I wish I had spent more time investigating lowering a DRZ instead of hotting up the KLX.

Would I be happier?
Who knows.

The KLX is still a reliable, relatively light, low maintance dual sport.
For now at least, its a keeper.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
The bikes weight, geometry and aerodynamics lend it to stability issues at high speed.

Not much you can do about weight and aero's but you could try slowing down the steering by reducing the rear preload and/or dropping the forks as far as possible.
But it is what it is.
Well I balanced the front wheel and it seems to have solved the problem! The guy said it was barely off though. I had already completed the suspension adjustments with some results. Think I will still invest in a dampener later though.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
Gyration is partly due to the "heavy" for this bike #520 chain and the lack of a cush drive in the rear hub. IMO 80MPH is pushing the design brief on these bikes.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Gyration is partly due to the "heavy" for this bike #520 chain and the lack of a cush drive in the rear hub. IMO 80MPH is pushing the design brief on these bikes.
Yeah but it does it easily @ my weight 140#s.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, my buddy is tickled with the performance gains from the 351 kit; it's impressed the daylights out of all three of us.(me, husband, buddy)

We don't have access to a dyno but there ain't no mistaking the seat of the pants. With a 15T C/S sprocket the bike feels like it would climb a tree if it had the tires for it. It pulls hard to an indicated 90mph on a level straightaway and sits at 89-90 until I run out of room and have to let off. To us, it feels like much more than an extra 100cc's. We couldn't find Gasgacinch so we used Permatex High Tack which was the second recommended choice. Approaching 500 miles and no leaks whatsoever. Bill Blue cheerfully answered the phone every time and we must have made over a dozen calls from the planning stages to finish. So far, we're of the opinion that you couldn't ask for better.

In other news though, I found a WR with 4-year warranty for $3500 and couldn't pass it up, bought it day before yesterday. Hadn't had a chance to ride much though, have to wait for the Yamalink so I can touch the ground.

Thanks again for the input everybody, I so much appreciate your time. Holler if I can help with any questions on the BB kit. If you are even remotely considering this upgrade, you owe it to yourself to call Bill and talk it over. thanks again.

Sarah

Quick Reply: 351 Kit, Please!