351 kit...finally found time to pick it up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 kit...finally found time to pick it up!

Ok, I had been trying to pick up my bike for a few days until last night when I finally got it! I am so glad I made the decision to go with the bill blue 351 kit. I haven't ridden it except to take it home, but wow...what a difference . I have to see what is going on with the cylinder gasket...I noticed after the 8 or 9 mile ride home it was leaking pretty good. The kit says the copper gasket setup it has needs to be retorqued after ten hours, but I wasn;t expecting it to leak like this already...any input from anyone else that has had one of these kits installed?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I installed mine myself, used a copper spray sealant. No leaks to date, didn't retourque it either.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottma978
Ok, I had been trying to pick up my bike for a few days until last night when I finally got it! I am so glad I made the decision to go with the bill blue 351 kit. I haven't ridden it except to take it home, but wow...what a difference . I have to see what is going on with the cylinder gasket...I noticed after the 8 or 9 mile ride home it was leaking pretty good. The kit says the copper gasket setup it has needs to be retorqued after ten hours, but I wasn;t expecting it to leak like this already...any input from anyone else that has had one of these kits installed?
What you posted is kinda vague and leaves three possibilities. Did you mean cylinder head cover gasket (rubber), cylinder head gasket (copper) or the lower (base gasket), where the cylinder mates with the crankcase opening?

What type of fluid is leaking? If there is a lot of oil coming-out, I'm guessing it's the rubber seal for the cylinder head cover (uppermost cover on the eng.).

I doubt you would be running that well if the cylinder head gasket was leaking THAT bad.

Regarless, whomever did the work needs to fix it...it's not normal or acceptable.

Last edited by tremor38; 08-15-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Please keep us updated, this is one of my next upgrades!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't think I was being vague...I meant the cylinder gasket, not the head gasket, but really not sure if the base gasket is leaking also...it is not pouring out, but obviously it shouldn't be leaking at all. I wanted to do the kit myself, but was a little unsure of myself with the overhead cams and whatnot. Not to mention, the bike had 18 miles on it when I dropped it off and I am hoping that if there are any issues with the bike, that the dealer would help me out a bit warranty wise..I called the service manager and he was like well, you should call the supplier and ask about another gasket set, but I am thinking I am going to drop it off with them first and let the tech that did the install check it out....he is supposed to be very good, and after all....we all make mistakes. But enough negativity...this thing makes some torque now cannot wait to get it straightened out so I can really taske it for a good ride!!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottma978
I didn't think I was being vague...I meant the cylinder gasket, not the head gasket, but really not sure if the base gasket is leaking also...it is not pouring out, but obviously it shouldn't be leaking at all. I wanted to do the kit myself, but was a little unsure of myself with the overhead cams and whatnot. Not to mention, the bike had 18 miles on it when I dropped it off and I am hoping that if there are any issues with the bike, that the dealer would help me out a bit warranty wise..I called the service manager and he was like well, you should call the supplier and ask about another gasket set, but I am thinking I am going to drop it off with them first and let the tech that did the install check it out....he is supposed to be very good, and after all....we all make mistakes. But enough negativity...this thing makes some torque now cannot wait to get it straightened out so I can really taske it for a good ride!!
OK, well I geuss the terminology is what was messing me up.

What I've always heard referred to as 'cylinder Head Gasket' or 'Head Gasket' is the gasket between the head and the cylinder.

The 'Cylinder Head Cover Gasket' is also referred to as a 'Valve Cover Gasket' in most automotive circles.

I have never heard someone call the 'Head Gasket' a 'Cylinder Gasket,' but that's just me I suppose.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Same thing happend to mine, even after i retorqued. I didnt properly seal the gasket with sealent, it was my fault. I Had to re seal it. Cometic has a new gasket that needs no sealent and no retorque. Wild Will did a killer write up on them

Originally Posted by wild will
http://www.cometic.com/ makes the copper head gasket and I think Bill uses the stock Kawie base gasket?

I just got a set of Cometic fiber steel fire ring head gaskets they designed for Bill and a set of there fiber base gaskets.

Bill finally talked to the right guy at Cometic. Since the beginning of his 351 kit they have told him the copper head gasket is the only one that will work being so close to the water jacket, now they have come up with one!

I just talked with Bill this afternoon. Didn't know he was on vacation, oops! He still answered his cell phone, what a guy, can't say enough for his customer service and total care for the KLX!!! We talked quite a bit, ended with taking about septic systems, go figure?

He is going to try one out on his 351 when he gets back from vacation. He got a head with bigger valves, alot of head and chamber work, so he going to try it on that to see how it does?

The o ring that is on top of the sleeve that is used on copper gaskets should help with sealing everything up. They are not needed for the steel ring gaskets but won't hurt.

In the first pix is the part number you need.

They take 3 days to make after you order.

Price for each head gasket is $27.41

The base gasket part # is B0155020F and that cost $6.01 each

Try the new one out first before getting another copper one. Don't need to retorque with the fiber head gasket or use a sealer on it either.

Should solve some problems that people have head with the copper gasket!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a great example of why you need to do work yourself! make SURE it's right.. and if it's not, you will be able to fix it. If it's the HG tell those dealer monkeys to buy you a new one, and use a correct sealant this time.
Good luck!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

You took it to a mechanic to do it properly, take it back.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
You took it to a mechanic to do it properly, take it back.
+1. The dude is trying to blame it on the gasket. What a cop-out. he didn't even take the time to check the bike out after he completed his work. He'd rather have the customer find-out for him.

Quick Reply: 351 kit...finally found time to pick it up!