351 install - Field tested in Death Valley

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 install - Field tested in Death Valley

So about 3 weeks before my planned trip to Death Vally for the ADV n00bs rally my BB351 kit comes in the mail.... damaged by USPS. A week later i get a replacement kit from Bill. I tear down the head and find bad valves, bad cam and need new buckets. I sent the head to Bill for service and after some deleys in ordering parts I finally get the head monday 2pm. I get off work and run to my friends shop we begun the install and every things going good till we find were missing the head bolt washers . We search the shop only to realize they must have been shipped with the head to Bill and gotten lost along the way somewhere. We have one to match up what we can scrounge together in the shop. The washers we find are a c*nt hair to large so we grind it down to fit. Finish install and fire up. Its now about 2:30am i load the bike up and drive home, unload ride 20 miles, change oil go to bed at 4am. Ok I have 2 days to break in the motor, hope my jetting is right, pray the 351 isnt too much for my clutch, change oil again and pack for DV.

Thursday comes and ive gotten about 150 miles on and another oil change. I load the bike up and make the trip to death valley. The Death Valley trip went great no bike troubles except for a dead battery, (had a replacement ready in the van) and a broken hand guard after dumping it in some loose gravel. Both easy fixes. The rides were awesome about 500 miles probably 70% off road or on sand / gravel roads. The bike rode amazing, the extra power was very noticeable and the 15t front sprocket made my high speeds much more enjoyable. Jetting seems to be just right. We shared a campsite with fellow KLX250s owner Nubbs. He was super cool fun to hang by the fire with and makes some great pulled pork. Hopefully well get to ride close to LA soon.

This thing look ready for Death Vally in 3 days?

Breakin in the motor around elysian park.

Broken handguard

I got this "Wunderbundler" from Poler to use a s a changing / tire changing mat and it came in handy as a way to keep my spare fuel cool and secure on the back of my bike.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Made it back sunday unloaded, washed the bike and rode another 30 miles to an easter party. Had to stop for some coldones but forgot a backpack. at least i had some straps on the bike still.

Hope to see more KLX250s and 351's (Itnanti) cough. cough. at the next rally.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Great pics! Looks like a cool trip. Glad the 351 held up. I would have been a nervous wreck not being able to thoroughly test it out before a long (desolated) ride.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Great pics! Looks like a cool trip. Glad the 351 held up. I would have been a nervous wreck not being able to thoroughly test it out before a long (desolated) ride.
yah i was so nervous every time i heard a rock ricochet off my bash plate i thought my top end was gonna explode. but after day one i had confidence in it. 240 miles on friday with staged fuel drops from the 4x4 camp support, we were out there pretty good.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
Hope to see more KLX250s and 351's (Itnanti) cough. cough. at the next rally.
I definitely noticed ILLKING's 351 as I was choking on his dust. Next rally the 351 will be in effect. ILLKING was shredding. This trip was epic. It was cool to meet NUBS as well, cool dude and a great cook.

Attached Thumbnails 351 install - Field tested in Death Valley-15-tr-image.jpg   351 install - Field tested in Death Valley-11-image.jpg   351 install - Field tested in Death Valley-12-image.jpg   351 install - Field tested in Death Valley-14-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

R.E.A.L.L.Y nice ride report and good pictures. I'm glad to see you got your bike working again!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Great report ! Death Valley made me sell my '08 KLR and go
to the KLX. Nice work with the conversion. I'll be trying mine
in Moab next week. Good job.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tom edison
Great report ! Death Valley made me sell my '08 KLR and go
to the KLX. Nice work with the conversion. I'll be trying mine
in Moab next week. Good job.
Yah i heard a lot of the guys on big bikes say "Im selling this and getting a smaller bike " Cant wait to see your pics from moab. Id love to ride there.

Last edited by Illking; 04-04-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Great pics!, Looks like a fun trip. I have hand guards similar to yours. After bending them repeatedly,I flipped them over, so that they arch up. It makes sense when you think of how it usually hits the ground. No problems since I flipped em over.
thanks,
marc

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey Illking, I recognize that one group shot from Titus Canyon, but tell us the other places you went while there. It's kind of neat how much good 2-track and decently rough terrain is in Death Valley as a national park, and the surrounding area has some great riding. I love the desert area of SoCal.

Quick Reply: 351 install - Field tested in Death Valley